Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Branwen Davies
The aim of Professional Practice is to explore the arts industry as it occurs in the professional world today. This module will examine some of the fundamental aspects of the industry including institutional structures and arts policies, arts management, marketing, funding, health and wellbeing in the arts and community practice. Using various institutions and companies as examples and models this module will focus on methods used in professional practice. During this module students gain an insight into the range of different career options there is in the arts and are prepared to engage in the profession through observation, applied research and critical analysis.
The module is suitable for anyone who is interested in a career in the arts and/or media or from the fields of psychology and education who want to explore further avenues across subject areas.
Guest lecturers from the industry will be an integrated addition to this module as well as the option to follow onto a module in 'Arts Community Placement' in Semester 2 to gain work experience.
STUDENT FEEDBACK ON MODULE: Some of the modules I found most interesting was professional practice as it gave me the foundation on how to go about creating an artistic project and all aspects surrounding that with budgeting and how to apply for the grants out there. Getting to meet industry professionals from the area gave you a true insight to the work and putting a grant application together for the assessment was brilliant.
The final assignment was incredibly helpful and brilliant for future work.
Professional practice, Arts institutions, Structure of Arts funding, Policy and strategy of arts organisations and funding bodies, Application processes for arts funding, Arts management, Marketing in the arts, Music in Health and Wellbeing Arts project development, Community practice, Report writing.
D • Knowledge of key areas/principles only • Weaknesses in understanding of main areas • Limited evidence of background study • Answer only poorly focussed on question and with some irrelevant material and poor structure • Arguments presented but lack coherence • Several factual/computational errors • No original interpretation • Only major links between topics are described • Limited problem solving • Many weaknesses in presentation and accuracy
C • Knowledge of key areas/principles • Understands main areas • Limited evidence of background study • Answer focussed on question but also with some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure • Arguments presented but lack coherence • Has several factual/computational errors • No original interpretation • Only major links between topics are described • Limited problem solving • Some weaknesses in presentation and accuracy
B • Strong knowledge • Understands most but not all • Evidence of background study • Focussed answer with good structure • Arguments presented coherently • Mostly free of factual and computational errors • Some limited original interpretation • Well known links between topics are described • Problems addressed by existing methods/approaches • Good presentation with accurate communication
A • Comprehensive knowledge • Detailed understanding • Extensive background study • Highly focussed answer and well structured • Logically presented and defended arguments • No factual/computational errors • Original interpretation • New links between topics are developed • New approach to a problem • Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
Efficient and effective organisation skills including planning, budgeting and marketing
Understand the operational aspects of arts institutions and practices
Understand strategy and policy in arts institutions
Demonstrate effective research and presentation skills
Demonstrate the ability to communicate ideas clearly in written form.
Demonstrate the ability to communicate ideas clearly in oral form
|TRAETHAWD||Essay on Community Practice||
Can submit the Essay through the Welsh Language
|ADDRODDIAD||Funding Application for Creative Project||
Can submit report in the Welsh Language and Arts Council Wales Welsh Language Documents will be available to support.
|CYFLWYNIAD GRWP||Marketing Pitch||
Can present in the Welsh Language and we will make translation equipment available if needed.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Workshops: these will last 2-3 hours for 9 weeks and will range between workshops, visits form professional bodies, discussions on relevant topics and student-led learning.
3 hour Marketing Pitch Assessment with the whole class (each group will present a 15-20 minute pitch to industry guests)
9 x 1 hour Seminar for 9 weeks
Group tutorials in the final week of term in support to final assessment.
Academic study is not only the time you attend class but also the times arranged to meet responsibly with peer-students, independent study towards assessments, weekly theoretical readings and reflections, independent research in addition to research and knowledge developed in class administration time gathered in organising work experience and attending professional activity, regular performance visits and participating in additional workshops and projects and any other suitable work. 147 hours in total.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- An understanding of creative and critical processes, and of the wide range of skills inherent in creative writing. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- Knowledge of a wide range of canonical English texts, providing a confident understanding of literary traditions as well as the confidence to experiment and challenge conventions when writing creatively. (English Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- An awareness of writing and publishing contexts, opportunities and audiences in the wider world (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- Artistic engagement and ability to articulate complex ideas in oral and written forms. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to connect creative and critical ideas between and among forms, techniques and types of creative and critical praxis. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Awareness of how different social and cultural contexts affect the nature of language and meaning (English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Reflective practitioner skills, including awareness of the practice of others in collaborative learning (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to engage in processes of drafting and redrafting texts to achieve clarity of expression and an appropriate style. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3; NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Re-creative skills – interpretation, innovation, versatility, and other skills relating to performance
- Creative skills – conception, elaboration, adaptation, presentation, collaboration, preservation
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
At times, students will need to organise presentations and tasks that will require the use of some stationary resources. This should be kept to a minimum as it will be the research applied that will be of most importance rather than the practice in this module. Performance visits: Students will be required to visit performances at Pontio's Arts and Innovation Centre during the term (be it theatre performances or Music Centred Performances). Pontio discount will be offered.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/uxb-2123.html
All core texts and recommended reading should be in the library with some of the wider readings present.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- 32M8: BA English Literature with Theatre and Performance year 2 (BA/ELTP)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 2 (BA/FSTP)
- P3WL: BA Media Studies with Theatre and Performance year 2 (BA/MSTP)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BA/MSTP1)
- W3W4: BA Music with Theatre & Performance year 2 (BA/MUSTP)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 2 (MARTS/CP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 2 (BA/ACC)
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 2 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTSP)
- QWM5: BA Cymraeg, Theatr a'r Cyfryngau year 2 (BA/CTC)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 2 (BA/CWMS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 2 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/FLM1)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FSIE)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 2 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BA/JMS1)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 2 (BA/MEN)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 2 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MSIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 2 (BA/MSSOC)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 2 (BA/PWM)