Mental health and education 2023-24
School Of Educational Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
Huw Clwyd Phillips
• Explore a range of mental health issues: • Stress • Depression • Anxiety • Bipolar Disorder • Phobias • Eating disorders • Substance abuse • The effects on the individual within an educational context • Ways of identifying mental health issues • Risk factors • Ethical issues • Current provision in Wales / UK • Communicating • Inclusion • Stress management • Support
- Compare the prevalence of current mental health issues within a chosen field of education whilst demonstrating a critical awareness of a range of mental health issues within chosen educational context.
- Critically evaluate current educational provision and practice for learners or staff members with mental health needs within chosen educational context.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the current underlying principles, attitudes, values and practices relevant to the effectiveness of including of students or staff members with mental health needs within education.
- Implement an educational strategy for promoting mental wellbeing and mental health with students or staff within a chosen educational context whilst critically evaluating its potential and analysing potential ethical and safeguarding issues within the strategy.
- Critically analyse wider ethical and safeguarding issues when working alongside staff or students with mental health issues within an educational context.
A support strategy for an individual with mental health needs.
Mental health issues within an educational context