Equity and Diversity
Equity and Diversity 2022-23
School Of Educational Sciences
Module - PGT
This module aims:
- To develop students’ understanding of equity, diversity and the impact of inequalities on educational outcomes and experiences.
- To develop a critical understanding of the mechanisms underpinning inequality, stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination.
- To enhance understanding of how to identify inequality, prejudice and discrimination in educational settings and to consider strategies to reduce or mitigate them.
- To consider the international evidence base concerning inequality and inequity in education.
Threshold PASS C- to C+ range 50-59% has weaknesses in arguments and limited background reading and knowledge
Merit B- to B+ range 60-69% Answer is focused with good structure arguments are presented coherently good command of subject but with some gaps in knowledge
Distinction A- to A* range 70-100% Highly focussed and accurate work demonstrating wider reading and some original input
- Analyse theories of prejudice and discrimination and examine the application of these theories to educational settings.
- Critically examine how social inequality is (re)produced in society and the role that education plays in that re-production.
- Critically explore the challenges of, and potential solutions to, prejudice and discrimination in a variety of educational settings.
- Explore and analyse the contested definitions of inequality, inequity and diversity.
Essay on tackling inequality