Research methods in education
Rhedir gan School of Educational Sciences
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Emily Roberts-Tyler
This module introduces you to quantitative and qualitative research in Education and will give you the knowledge and tools necessary to prepare you to undertake research for your dissertation. Throughout the module you will develop an understanding of the different approaches to educational research, ethical issues, and of the range of methodological tools that can be adopted to gather data. This module code XME4401 relates to the Full Time MA Education Studies (with placement). Part time MA Education Studies students take XME4001.
This module runs in both semesters 1 and 2.
Note: If 2021 lectures are timetabled as being on-line due to COVID 19 restrictions, the learning outcomes for this module can be met fully in this way and we will return to campus learning as soon as it is safe to do so
- An Introduction to Educational Research;
- The Research Question;
- An Overview of Quantitative Research Methods;
- Ethics and Educational Research;
- An Overview of Qualitative Research Methods;
- Evaluating research articles;
- Designing Questionnaires;
- Presenting Questionnaire data;
- Conducting Interviews;
- Analysing Qualitative Data;
- Assignment Guidance
- Single Case Experimental Designs;
- Case Studies;
- Action Research;
- Writing up research;
- Internet Research;
- Academic Writing;
Assignment 1 (Exam): Some understanding of key concepts demonstrated, but limited depth to understanding and confusion on some concepts.
Assignment 2: Sufficient planning in relation to the learning outcomes; • Consideration given to planning and structure; • Discussion of at least one research approach and one method; • Links made between research aims and research findings; • Demonstrates some knowledge of research methods and relevant literature; • Demonstrates comprehension of different approaches to research; • Demonstrates some understanding of research study structure; • Demonstrates some understanding of research ethics.
Assignment 1: An excellent and thorough critical understanding of key concepts clearly demonstrated. Very little confusion of concepts.
Demonstrates an engaged and critical analysis of resources used, showing original insights on contrasting research approaches and methods; • Demonstrates strong capacity to contrast quantitative and qualitative approaches and a wide range of methods, showing original insights on the implications these may have for research findings; • Uses, and demonstrates a thorough understanding of, a range of relevant theoretical perspectives linked to methodology; • Produces original and challenging ideas in relation to research • Engages critically with a comprehensive range of research literature applied to research
Assignment 1: A good understanding of key concepts, with some good critical understanding demonstrated. Some confusion on some concepts, but a good general understanding.
Assignment 2: Showing sustained and relevant arguments regarding the strengths and weaknesses of research studies and particular research approaches/methods; • Employs theoretical perspectives and research methods literature to inform critical analysis of research studies; • Makes clear and informed links between research aims and findings; • Well planned in relation to learning outcomes and structure of argument; • Demonstrates applied knowledge of research methods and relevant literature; • Ability to compare and contrast different approaches to research; • Applied understanding of research ethics
Demonstrate critical understanding of the range of ethical considerations of undertaking research.
Critically evaluate a breadth of academic, peer-reviewed literature relevant to your research topic
Formulate a research proposal, including selecting appropriate research methods, on a topic relating to education.
Critically evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of qualitative or quantitative approaches and mixed methods in educational research.
Demonstrate a critical understanding of key concepts in research methods
Critically understand and justify the use of different research methods and practices relevant to students’ own areas of interest and/or practice
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Seminars/workshops will take place during the timetabled sessions (some midweek, and some weekend sessions)
Private study and research
Lectures will be delivered via some midweek sessions, some teaching weekend sessions, and some Panopto (online) content.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Show originality in the application of subject specific knowledge and understanding.
- Adapt and transfer ideas from one educational context to another.
- Identify problems, evaluate solutions and critique research associated with educational practice.
- Acquire and analyse data in an educational context.
- Adopt an ethically sound approach to research with children and vulnerable adults.
- accommodate new principles and understandings
- select a range of relevant primary and secondary sources, including theoretical and research-based evidence, to extend their knowledge and understanding
- use a range of evidence to formulate appropriate and justified ways forward and potential changes in practice
- an understanding of the significance and limitations of theory and research
- collect and apply numerical data, as appropriate
- present data in a variety of formats including graphical and tabular
- analyse and interpret both qualitative and quantitative data.