ITSkills for Thesis Production
Rhedir gan School of Educational Sciences
10.000 Credydau neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mrs Sian Williams
The module provides Postgraduate students with the skills and knowledge to produce complex academic documents such as theses. The course is largely based on the advanced Word ECDL syllabus with additional word tools and functions useful specifically for complex documents. The range of options, tools and functions in Word is explored extensively. The course also covers the benefits of using Refworks for bibliographic referencing, and shows students how to include references from Refworks into a Word document. One session will focus entirely on Refworks, with a follow up session on Copyright and Electronic submission
Main topics covered; Word (to advanced level and above), integrating references from Refworks into word documents.
trothwyAt this level students will have demonstrated basic competence in the use of Word & Refworks. 40-55%
daAt this level students will have demonstrated a good working knowledge of both Word and Referencing. They will have demonstrated a sound understanding of most of the principles in complex document production and sufficient knowledge of IT Skills to produce an acceptable Thesis. 55-70%
ardderchogStudents will have demonstrated an extensive grasp on the complex options of Word in conjunction with other applications and the use of Refworks. At this level students would be expected to have little difficulty in obtaining the professional qualification ECDL Advanced Word. 70% +
- Demonstrate a detailed and in depth knowledge of the tools and functions of Microsoft Word and their uses in producing complex documents.
- Competently integrate references from Refworks into a complex word document. Understand the implications of Copyright and the requirements for electronic submission.
- Import data and information from other applications into Word
- Correctly use advanced formatting and structuring options in Word
- Use document security features
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Lectures. 4 times 2 hours covering theory and practise of applications|
|Practical workshops. 5 times 2 hours on tutor led working examples of Word, Endnote, Refworks|
|2 hour session for revision and working through assignment|