Introduction to Meaning
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Alan Wallington
This module introduces students to the basic concepts of meaning, also referred to as semantics and pragmatics, which attempt to capture how words and speakers achieve ‘meaning’. The module provides an introductory overview of a range of topics and subjects in the study of word meaning (Semantics) and meaning in context (Pragmatics). In this module students will explore how meaning is created (concepts) and expressed in words and discourse, how people make sense of each other linguistically, and power and politeness in discourse. The language used for the purpose of exemplification in this modules is primarily English; however other languages may also be referred to in the practice data sets and examples.
1. To introduce students to different approaches to how words and speakers ‘mean’.
2. To provide students with a working understanding of the key terms, ideas and concepts dealt with in Semantics and Pragmatics.
3. To introduce students to basic forms of classification and analysis of the properties and phenomena of word, sentence and utterance levels of ‘meaning’ and ‘use’.
4. To enable students to apply technical concepts and terminology to the analysis of language data and data sets.
The course will cover topics such as the following, in a foundational manner:
- What is semantics?
- Word meaning and sentence meaning.
- Literal versus non literal meaning.
- Mental representations.
- Linguistic Relativity: Thought & Reality.
- Semantic Description and Lexical relations (homonymy, polysemy, synonymy, antonymy, hyponymy, meronymy).
- Sentence Relations, Truth and Logic.
- Speech Act Theory & the Cooperative Principle
- Politeness Theories - Critical Discourse Analysis - Intercultural Pragmatics
Student has achieved the minimum acceptable standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all the learning outcomes. Student can demonstrate a minimum level of understanding of the basic concepts and be able to apply them to data with some degree of accuracy.
Student has achieved a better-than-average standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all learning outcomes, and has a clear and accurate understanding of concepts; ability to apply concepts to data critically and thoughtfully; evidence of wide reading and clear and accurate reference to source materials; free from misunderstanding and errors of content; free from irrelevant material.
Student has achieved a thorough standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all learning outcomes; or student has demonstrated an exceptional level of achievement in one or more learning outcomes together with a good overall standard: student has achieved a thorough understanding of the subject, both in terms of content and theory; student is able to apply concepts clearly and accurately; substantial evidence of critical and original thought and analysis; clear, logical argument; high level of communicative competence; free from irrelevant material and errors of spelling and punctuation; evidence of extensive reading beyond basic texts and clear and accurate references to source material.
Students will know basic terminology, concepts and techniques for the semantic and pragmatic analysis of language.
Students will understand at a basic level a wide range of phenomena studied by those language scientists working in the sub-fields of semantic and pragmatics.
Students will be able to do basic analysis of language data for semantic content, functions and relationships.
Students will be able to do basic analysis of language data for pragmatic content, functions and strategic goals/objectives.
|Take Home Data Analysis Exercise 1||20|
|Take Home Data Analysis Exercise 2||20|
|Take home assignment||60|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
In their own time, students will be expected to do further reading, go through materials covered in class and do further research on the topics, and prepare assignments.
2 hour lectures, every week for 11 teaching weeks and tutorials. Lectures will include in-class discussion of practical applications of the materials considered in this module.
Five 1 hour seminars over the 11 teaching weeks, with additional exercises to be done in the students' own time.
Students are encouraged to see the lecturer on a one-to-one basis during published office hours (or by appointment) to discuss issues with the module content, seek clarification on topics and discussions, and discuss feedback on assessments and class exercises.
Directed Reading - students are given required reading each week (of about 2 hours) on the topic of that week's lecture.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Writing & scholarly conventions - students will be able to present data, argumentation, findings and references in written form in keeping with the conventions current in language science and English language studies.
- Analysis & interpretation skills - students will be able to analyse, interpret data accurately, and draw appropriate conclusions based on the application of appropriate analytic and theoretical frameworks available in linguistics and English language studies.
- Evaluation & reflection - students will be able to critically evaluate a particular position, viewpoint or argument in relation to a specific area of investigation. They will be able to reflect on the efficacy of a particular approach, practice or performance, and moderate these as a consequence in order to achieve specific goals.
- Fluency, confidence and proficiency in the use of English -students will demonstrate their ability and proficiency to use and understand and instruct others in English in a range of academic and classroom contexts.
- Effective communication - students will develop the ability to communicate effectively, appropriately and confidently, in a range of contexts, to different audience types, and making use of a range of supporting materials
- Learning to learn - students will learn to reflect, modify and improve their learning strategies
- Awareness of and appreciation for linguistic and cultural differences - students will develop an awareness of and an appreciation for the range and nature of linguistic and cultural diversity
- Proficiency in the use of English in reading, writing, speaking and/or listening - students will demonstrate proficiency in their ability to use and understand English in a range of different contexts and via different media.
- Understanding the nature of commonalities and differences across languages - students will demonstrate familiarity with phenomena and findings relating to universals and diversity exhibited by and across languages.
- Knowledge of the nature of language origins, change and use - students will demonstrate familiarity with phenomena and findings relating to the nature of language origins, the way language changes, and factors involved in and affecting language use.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/qxl-1116.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q301: BA English Language year 1 (BA/EL)
- Q315: BA English Language for TEFL year 1 (BA/ELT)
- Q140: BA Ling & the Eng Lang year 1 (BA/LELA)
- Q100: BA Linguistics year 1 (BA/LING)
- Q104: BA Linguistics (with International Experience)) year 1 (BA/LINGIE)
- QQ31: BA Linguistics & the English Language with International Exp year 1 (BA/LWEL)
- Q102: MArts Bilingualism year 1 (MARTS/BILING)
- Q316: MArts English Language for TEFL year 1 (MARTS/ELT)
- Q101: MArts Linguistics year 1 (MARTS/LING)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T101: BA Chinese and Linguistics year 1 (BA/CHL)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 1 (BA/CSTEL)
- QQ3M: BA English Language & Cymraeg year 1 (BA/ELC)
- T123: BA English Language and Chinese year 1 (BA/ELCH)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 1 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 1 (BA/ELCW)
- QR3C: BA English Language and French year 1 (BA/ELFR)
- Q3WP: BA Eng Lang with Film Studs year 1 (BA/ELFS)
- QR3F: BA English Language and German year 1 (BA/ELG)
- QR3H: BA English Language and Italian year 1 (BA/ELIT)
- PQ53: BA English Language & Journalism year 1 (BA/ELJO)
- 1Q3Q: BA Linguistics and English Literature year 1 (BA/ELL)
- QQC3: BA English Lang and Lit year 1 (BA/ELLIT)
- Q3P3: BA English Lang with Media Stds year 1 (BA/ELMS)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 1 (BA/ELPSY)
- LQ3J: BA English Lang. & Sociology year 1 (BA/ELSOC)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 1 (BA/ELSP)
- Q3Q2: BA English Language w English Lit year 1 (BA/ENGEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 1 (BA/FSELAN)
- QR13: BA Italian/Linguistics year 1 (BA/ITL)
- Q1Q3: BA Ling with Eng Lit year 1 (BA/LEL)
- QR11: BA Linguistics/French year 1 (BA/LFR)
- QR12: BA Linguistics/German year 1 (BA/LG)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 1 (BA/LP)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 1 (BA/LSP)
- CQ81: BA Psychology/Linguistics year 1 (BA/PL)
- LQ31: BA Sociology/Linguistics year 1 (BA/SL)