Animation & motion graphics
Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr John Finnegan
During the twelve weeks of the semester you will be regularly designing and creating digital animations in a variety of forms and methods, including pixilations, cut-outs, Flash, and rotoscoping. Each week you will have the opportunity to work a different project which will be added to a portfolio of work. At the end of the semester you will develop a larger, more challenging project. This module provides an introduction to the design, planning and tools involved in the production of a multimedia project. You will be introduced to three major types of multimedia software: vector drawing, bitmap editing, and key-frame animation. Each week you will be introduced to an influential piece of animation which may influence your own designs and develop your critical and self-reflective skills.
Keyframe animation, drawn animation, rotoscoping, stop-motion animation, infographic design, principles of animation, elements of design, storyboarding and animation design, reflective practice, history of animation, major animation styles, current independent animations.
A: • Comprehensive knowledge • Detailed understanding • Extensive background study • Highly focussed answer and well structured • Logically presented and defended arguments • No factual/computational errors • Original interpretation • New links between topics are developed • New approach to a problem • Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
D: • Knowledge of key areas/principles only • Weaknesses in understanding of main areas • Limited evidence of background study • Answer only poorly focussed on question and with some irrelevant material and poor structure • Arguments presented but lack coherence • Several factual/computational errors • No original interpretation • Only major links between topics are described • Limited problem solving • Many weaknesses in presentation and accuracy
C: Good • Knowledge of key areas/principles • Understands main areas • Limited evidence of background study • Answer focussed on question but also with some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure • Arguments presented but lack coherence • Has several factual/computational errors • No original interpretation • Only major links between topics are described • Limited problem solving • Some weaknesses in presentation and accuracy B: Very Good • Strong knowledge • Understands most but not all • Evidence of background study • Focussed answer with good structure • Arguments presented coherently • Mostly free of factual and computational errors • Some limited original interpretation • Well known links between topics are described • Problems addressed by existing methods/approaches • Good presentation with accurate communication
Design, plan and create a variety of animations and motion graphics
Identify, select and edit appropriate media formats for use in multimedia projects
Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of animation design and information visualization and apply them appropriately
Identify and select appropriate animation techniques to achieve design goal
Demonstrate a knowledge of a variety of animation styles and representative texts
Apply methods of reflective practice to development of practice.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Research into animation techniques and development of animation projects.
|Practical classes and workshops||
Weekly workshops using animation software to develop skills and awareness of animation principles. Each week students will develop a new project or extend a previous one using techniques discussed in lecture sessions.
Presentation of animation techniques and principles built around discussion of examples from animation history.
Students work in a supervised study group providing peer feedback.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- An understanding of creative and critical processes, and of the wide range of skills inherent in creative writing. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- Artistic engagement and ability to articulate complex ideas in oral and written forms. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to connect creative and critical ideas between and among forms, techniques and types of creative and critical praxis. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Reflective practitioner skills, including awareness of the practice of others in collaborative learning (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to engage in processes of drafting and redrafting texts to achieve clarity of expression and an appropriate style. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3; NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- P310: BA Media Studies with Game Design year 2 (BA/MSGD)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 2 (MARTS/CP)
- W891: MArts Professional Writing year 2 (MARTS/PW)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CHCS)
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 2 (BA/CPW)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 2 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTSP)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 2 (BA/CWMS)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FSCW)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 2 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BA/JMS1)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 2 (BA/MEN)
- P3R1: BA Media Studies with French year 2 (BA/MSFR)
- P3R2: BA Media Studies with German year 2 (BA/MSG)
- P3R3: BA Media Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/MSIT)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 2 (BA/MSSOC)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MSSPIE)
- P3WL: BA Media Studies with Theatre and Performance year 2 (BA/MSTP)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BA/MSTP1)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 2 (BA/PWF)
- W839: BA Professional Writing with Game Design year 2 (BA/PWGD)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 2 (BA/PWM)
- M1W1: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing year 2 (LLB/LCMW)
- M1W2: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing (International Exp) year 2 (LLB/LCMWI)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 2 (LLB/LMS)
- M1P2: LLB Law with Media Studies (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LMSI)
- P308: MArts Media year 2 (MARTS/MED)
- W891: MArts Professional Writing year 2 (MARTS/PW)