Music Teaching in Context
Rhedir gan School of Music, Drama and Performance
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Gwawr Ifan
Purpose of the module is to give a sound understanding of current teaching methodology combined with practical skills. Combined with other modules on the degree programme it adds to a well-rounded pedagogical background.
This module will introduce students to the basic concepts of instrumental and vocal teaching through lectures and practical sessions in which students work under supervision to develop teaching techniques. We will investigate different pedagogical approaches and apply them in practical sessions, some of which will include presentations by guest artists and teachers. Working in small groups, you will take a practice-based approach and independent research into instrument specific issues, and broader theoretical points relevant to current pedagogy. Continuing on from Semester 1, in Semester 2 you will carry out an independent piece of research focusing on some area of music pedagogy. This may be a practice-based piece of research, reflecting on and evaluating your own teaching practices in a specific location, or it may involve researching an aspect of teaching practices and pedagogical approaches of other established music organisations and educators. The project will follow on from skills learned in this module during semester 1. The topic will be selected by the student in consultation with a member of staff, and this selection and approval will take place during the first semester. The writing should take account of previous and current relevant research but demonstrate originality of mind in approach and argument. Credit will be given for quality of ideas, clarity and logic of argument and presentation, suitability of bibliography, and elegance of presentation.
D- to D+ Work which displays basic, restricted knowledge of the subject with limited ability at conceptual thought, and a limited awareness of issues, but has some evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with fair expression.
C- i C+
C- to C+ Work which displays fair knowledge of the subject, with some ability at conceptual thought (albeit inconsistent or otherwise flawed), and a general awareness of issues, with evidence of a generally intellectual approach, with good expression.
B- to B+ The work should display a sound grasp of the subject, a good level of conceptual thought, awareness of the main issues, with evidence of intellectual acumen and very good expression.
Please also see the Explicit Marking Criteria for Musicology: https://my.bangor.ac.uk/handbook/content.php.en?nid=16093
A- to A** Work which displays a thorough grasp of the subject, with evidence of further study, deeper thought, originality of approach and excellent written skills.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate a methodological approach to instrumental or vocal teaching.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to analyse and evaluate various methodologies of teaching used within a musical context.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to use advanced research skills to analyse and evaluate primary and/or secondary academic material.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to reflect on, and evaluate their own experiences as practitioners and/or researchers.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate advanced communication skills, especially in a teaching context.
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to work effectively and independently alongside established organisations/educators.
Essay questions are provided in the module handbook.
To be scheduled during the assessment period of semester 1. Full details are provided in the module handbook.
You will be required to write a report which presents the main findings of your research project. Full details are provided in the module handbook.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Supervision of up to 4 hours, in individual slots or small groups as appropriate in semester 2.
Semester 2 project.
Two-hour classes for eleven weeks (semester 1)
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Re-creative skills – interpretation, innovation, versatility, and other skills relating to performance
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
If applicable (in terms of the project), the student will be responsible for arranging their own DBS check.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxm-3270.html
Talis list to be provided once validation is complete.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 3 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 3 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 3 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 3 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 3 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 4 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 4 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 4 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 4 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 3 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 4 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 3 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 3 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 4 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 3 (BMUS/MUS)