Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Julia Patricia Gordon Jones
strong textTo critically explore the main theoretical and applied aspects of conservation science.
This module presents key concepts that underpin modern conservation science. As such it is highly interdisciplinary; emphasising the interactions between natural and social systems. We start by considering the evidence that we are living in the Anthropocene: a geological epoch where human influence is the dominant influence on the climate and the environment and discuss what this means for those of us interested in biodiversity conservation. We discuss global patterns of biodiversity and threat and the relative importance of the various global threats to biodiversity. We discuss the ever increasing demand for food and how this can be best balanced with conservation. We critically discuss a range of (overlapping) approaches to conservation including protected areas, biodiversity offsetting, market mechanisms (including Payment for Ecosystem Services), and the role of ex situ conservation (focusing on plant conservation). We consider overexploitation and how understanding of population dynamics and social-economic factors can help improve the management of harvested wild species. We also discuss the role of monitoring and impact evaluation in effective conservation. We end, with some optimism: conservation can work. We have had to rethink the course structure this year due to the covid restrictions. While I’d rather be with you in person for every session, this disruption has given me the opportunity to refresh the course and I think the changes make it better than ever. While we will have two field trips and I will be offering small group tutorials (hopefully in person if you prefer), much of the teaching will have to be online. This will be a combination of watching short videos of me introducing a subject and the main points, then attending synchronous sessions (i.e. we will all be logged on at the same time). Interaction is a key part of your education so I strongly encourage to attend all the synchronous sessions (everything in the timetable). You will get MUCH more out of these if you watch the videos and do the preparation in advance. I have decided to record the short preparatory videos in advance so you are not just listening to me in the synchronous sessions and we can make these more interactive. We will also have three student-led seminars which you will need to prepare for in advance, working in groups with your colleagues.
ESSAY Threshold: Summarise information given during the module, or available from very basic reading, in a way which answers the question.
PRESENTATIONS Threshold: Produce a clear presentation which makes a reasonable argument, addressing a sesible and appropriate topic.
ESSAY Good: Answer the question using appropriate sources in a critical way to structure a coherent argument.
PRESENTATIONS Good: Synthesise and critique a range of suitable sources to produce a clear presentation which makes a reasonable argument, addressing a sesible and appropriate topic.
ESSAY Excellent: Answer the question using a wide range of sources in a critical way to structure a well-written and coherent argument which shows deep understanding of the complexities involved.
PRESENTATIONS Excellent: Synthesise and critique an extensive range of suitable sources to produce a very clear presentation which makes a reasonable argument. Shows mature and deep understanding of the topic and excellent presentation.
Understand the concepts and theories underlying the subject of conservation science.
Understand the interdisciplinary nature of conservation science and demonstrate a good awareness of the relevance of both ecological and social sciences to conservation.
Understand the importance of taking an evidence-based approach to the management of biodiversity.
Understand the value-judgements central to decision making in conservation science.
Synthesize and critique sources of evidence to produce a coherent written or verbal argument.
Be able to express themselves clearly in semi-formal presentations and debates and in a written essay.
|"Why and how I would conserve the ......"||60.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
12 hours are timetabled: students will sign up for slots as they feel is needed
You will need to watch a short video or two (recorded lecture) before we meet for the synchronous online lectures
Students will prepare the seminar topics in advance (in groups) and present to the class
Students will work in groups to prepare for the seminars and the group assessed presentations.
field trips to Cwm Idwal and Treborth botanic garden
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
- Demonstrate the independence and skills required for continuing professional development
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students will need to wear appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear on field trips and take their own lunch for the two field trip days. Students will need to make their own way to Treborth.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-4016.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- D9AN: MSc Conservation and Land Management year 1 (MSC/CLM)
- D9AZ: MSc Conservation and Land Management (TRANSFOR-M exch prog) year 1 (MSC/CLMTFM)
- D5AB: MSc Sustainable Forest and Nature Management year 2 (MSC/SFNM)