MSc Individual Project
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
60.000 Credyd neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr William Teahan
To allow students to:
- pursue an in-depth study of a topic/area that is at near or actual state of the art research level relevant to their programme.
- apply an appropriate process/methodology to designing, implementing/building and evaluating their solution.
- explore and understand the wider impact of their work, including pertinent professional, ethical, social, technological, legal, and environmental aspects.
- convey the results of their work, using a variety of media, to a varied audience within their field.
Project topics are varied and specific to the discipline. Students are able to select their own in consultation with academic staff.
Electronic Engineering examples include communication systems, sensors, optoelectronics, polymer electronics, bioelectronics, signal processing, real time systems, distributed networks, robotics, and control systems.
Computer Science examples include databases, data analysis, artificial intelligence, computer graphics, gaming, virtual environments, computer vision, visualisation, and pattern recognition.
Equivalent to 50%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Critically evaluate scientific works for their worth to the given project.
Choose appropriate forms to communicate findings of their work, including summarising related works, to academics, peers and the wider community.
Devise and manage a project plan to ensure delivery of the project.
Construct/develop a suitable solution to underlying an problem or research questions using state-of-the-art methods and ideas.
Exercise self-management and discipline to achieve the goal within the project constraints.
|DISSERTATION||Individual Project dissertation||
Dissertation - No less than 10,000 words and maximum of 20,000 words.
|ARDDANGOSIAD/YMARFER||Demonstration and presentation||
Demonstration of product / tool and presentation for the project.
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Engagement/Interim Reports||
Project engagement/interim reports on their progress throughout their project.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Meetings with supervisor.
Individual project work.
Lectures for induction, student briefing, on PESTLE and study skills sessions.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply an understanding and appreciation of continuous improvement techniques
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of electronic engineering in an international context;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems engineering in an international context;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems for controlling complex systems;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems engineering in safety-critical areas;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Formulate and analyse requirements and practical constraints of products, processes and services, place them in an engineering context and manage their implementation;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Plan, budget, organise and manage people and resources;
- Agree objectives and work plans with individuals;
- Bring about improvement through quality control;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Demonstrate an awareness of current advances and contemporary approaches in the discipline and have strategies for keeping that awareness current;
- Demonstrate an awareness of the need to work safely and comply within relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks;
- Have an appreciation of moral, ethical, financial and environmental issues that may need to be considered when practicing as an engineer.¬†
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Problem solving strategies
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Recognise legal, social, ethical & professional issues
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial and economic issues
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
- Knowledge of management techniques to achieve objectives
- Knowledge of information security issues
- Specify, design or construct computer-based systems
- Recognise risk/safety for safe operation of computing equipment
- Deploy tools effectively
- Work as a member of a development team
- Development of general transferable skills
- Deploy systems to meet business goals
- Methods, techniques and tools for information modelling, management and security
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain information systems
- Defining problems, managing design process and evaluating outcomes
- System Design
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
- Knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles
- Knowledge and understanding of computational modelling
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain computer-based systems
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Resource implications will be dependent on each specific project.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H6AP: MRes Electronic Engineering (Optoelectronics) year (MRES/EEOP)
- G4AS: MSc Advanced Computer Science year 1 (MSC/ACS)
- G5BB: MSc Advanced Data Science year 1 (MSC/ADS)
- G5AR: MSc Broadband and Optical Communication year 1 (MSC/BROPCOMM)
- G5BC: MSc Computing for Data Science year 1 (MSC/CDS)
- G5BA: MSc Computing year 1 (MSC/COMP)
- H6AJ: MSc Electronic Engineering year 1 (MSC/ELENG)
- G5BD: MSc Rise of the Machines year 1 (MSC/MACH)
- H6AF: MSc Nanotechnology and Microfabrication year 1 (MSC/NANOTECH)