Mobile Communications Systems
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Jianming Tang
This module will provide students with an in-depth understanding of current and emerging wireless transmission techniques, mobile communications systems and networks, with particular attention being focussed on operation principles and performances of mobile networks of different generations (2G, 3G and 4G) from layer 1 to layer 4. The future developing trends of mobile networks are also discussed.
Indicative content includes:
- Introduction to fundamental concepts, terminologies and basic techniques involved in mobile communication systems. They include, for example, OSI reference model, signal characteristics in both the time and frequency domains, digital and analogue modulation, antennas, signal propagation, various multiplexing and de-multiplexing techniques, as well as spread spectrum.
- Access media controls: Hidden and exposed terminals, near and far terminals, as well as wireless MAC techniques including SDMA, FDMA, TDMA and CDMA.
- Wireless telecommunications systems including GSM, GPRS, UMTS/IMT-2000 and LTE/LTE-Advanced.
- Wireless sensor networks.
- Mobile IP and mobile ad-hoc networks.
- Wireless TCP congestion control.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 50%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Describe and apply the fundamental concepts involved in wireless communication systems and networks.
Argue how and where network layer issues affect mobile networks, and suggest potential solutions.
Critically compare different multi-access techniques for specific user scenarios.
Evaluate new technologies for various wireless communication systems and relate them to existing infrastructures.
|5G Mobile Communications||30|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1) Studying lecture slides and relevant books 2) completing tutorial questions, assignments/essays.
25 normal lectures over the whole semester
Two in the middle and three at the end
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply an understanding and appreciation of continuous improvement techniques
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of electronic engineering in an international context;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems engineering in an international context;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems for controlling complex systems;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems engineering in safety-critical areas;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Demonstrate an awareness of current advances and contemporary approaches in the discipline and have strategies for keeping that awareness current;
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Problem solving strategies
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Knowledge of systems architecture
- Specify, design or construct computer-based systems
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
- Development of general transferable skills
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain information systems
- Defining problems, managing design process and evaluating outcomes
- System Design
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
- Knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain computer-based systems
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ice-4413.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 4 (MENG/EE)
- H618: MEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 5 (MENG/EEIE)
- H60P: MEng Electronic Engineering with Industrial Placement year 5 (MENG/EEP)
- H6AP: MRes Electronic Engineering (Optoelectronics) year (MRES/EEOP)
- G5AR: MSc Broadband and Optical Communication year 1 (MSC/BROPCOMM)
- H6AJ: MSc Electronic Engineering year 1 (MSC/ELENG)