MEng Individual Project
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
40 Credyd neu 20 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Yanhua Hong
• To undertake a major project which requires an independent investigation of a technical subject and results in a well-presented dissertation.
• To apply the Engineering Process to a problem.
• To learn and understand legal, social, ethical and professional issues.
• To prepare a journal style paper of their work.
• To prepare and present a poster of their work.
Project topics are usually in the following areas: communication systems, sensors, optoelectronics, polymer electronics, bioelectronics, signal processing, real time systems, distributed networks, robotics, control systems, databases, AI, computer graphics, E-technology.
Cyswllt Canlyniad dysgu i Meini Prawf
Exercise personal initiative to attain a clear objective within a specified time
|The student has worked conscientiously and has a reasonable number of results/achievements to report. The project has some minor flaws but most of the problems have been identified.||The student has shown both good judgement and skill in the methods chosen to complete the objectives. The student has made a significant contribution to the work and the project is correct in almost every respect.||The student has driven the project hard, fully understands the theoretical background. Possibly the foundations for a research project and publishable in a workshop or conference.|
Investigate new areas of subject knowledge, organize data and solve new problems
|Uses standard resources and basic techniques to obtained required information. Can research and apply new methodologies to analyse data. Understanding and knowledge are sufficient to undertake most tasks.||An enquiring approach to problem solving and an ability to select appropriate methods and applications demonstrated. Sound understanding and significant knowledge.||An enquiring and innovative approach to problem solving and an awareness of theory and application limitations. An ability to research and apply new methods.|
Present clear and detailed reports and a dissertation
|The presentational aspects of the talk and dissertation were generally good, but there are some deficiencies.||Presentational aspects are very good. Dissertation and talk all well presented.||The presentational aspects of the talk and dissertation are exceptionally clear and presented in a professional manner.|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lecture 4 x 1 hour (Sem 1 + 2 Weeks 1,2,8,16)
Sem 1 + 2 Self-study; discussions with supervisor; interaction with colleagues.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply an understanding and appreciation of continuous improvement techniques
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Demonstrate an awareness of the need to work safely and comply within relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks;
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H661: MEng Control and Instrumentation Engineering year 3 (MENG/CIE)
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 3 (MENG/CSE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 3 (MENG/EE)
- H618: MEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 4 (MENG/EEIE)