Communication and IT Skills
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Martyn Kurr
This module aims to help prepare you for degree study through developing key study and transferable skills. The module will equip you with the fundamental IT-based and academic skills that are required for degree-level study and to maximise your chances of producing the best possible work you can. The module will focus on the academic skills required to work with various information types and to effectively present information in a variety of formats and provide a grounding in the appropriate software that allows you to do this.
Topics covered by this module may include the following:
Gathering information: potential information sources and summarizing information and making notes.
Evaluating information: introducing the concept of reading critically.
Presenting science in writing: the use of different word processing software to create and manipulate documents and to share and collaborate.
Writing successfully: avoiding common grammatical mistakes.
Presenting science: oral presentation skills and the use of different presentation software.
Key data scientific datasets and information sourcing: primary versus secondary datasets, information searching and evaluating sources.
Working with data: importing data to analysis software, visualising data and data analysis.
Reflecting on learning and using feedback: types of feedback and learning to use feedback.
Grades D- to D+ Basic understanding of higher education learning skills but some errors present. Limited evidence of additional reading and basic reflective writing skills. Some inaccuracies and misconceptions evident.
C- i C+
Grades C- to C+ A clearer understanding of higher education learning skills. Demonstrated ability to analyse information and applying of these skills. Evidence of additional reading and reflective writing skills. Few inaccuracies and misconceptions evident.
Grades B- to B+ A good understanding of higher education learning skills. Demonstrated abiltiy to analyse information and applying of these skills. Evidence of reading and reflective writing skills. Very few inaccuracies and misconceptions evident.
Grade A- and above An excellent understanding of higher education learning skills. Demonstrated ability to analyse information and are able to apply these skills. Extensive wide reading and reflective writing skills. No inaccuracies and misconceptions evident.
Import quantitative data and produce appropriately formatted visualisations.
Effectively communicate scientific information in a written form.
Apply appropriate software packages to meet a required outcome.
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Assignment 3: Note Taking||
Creation and upload of a recorded presentation featuring slides and spoken commentary.
|GWAITH CWRS||Assignment 2: Scientific Review||35|
|GWAITH CWRS||Assignment 1: Newspaper Article||25|
|Assignment 4: Presentation||20|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
24 x 2 hour sessions
12 x 1 hour tutorials
Time spent working on guided and independent study and on the preparation of assignments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students will be required to access online resources as part of their independent study. Use of personal computers or University facilities will enable this.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/osf-0101.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H61F: BEng Electronic Engineering year 0 (BENG/ELEF)
- C10F: BSc Biology year 0 (BSC/BF)
- G40F: BSc Computer Science year 0 (BSC/CSF)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 0 (BSC/ESF)
- F62F: BSc Geological Oceanography year 0 (BSC/GEOF)
- C16F: BSc Marine Biology year 0 (BSC/MBF)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 0 (BSC/PSF)
- C60F: BSc Sports Science year 0 (BSC/SPSF)
- C30F: BSc Zoology year 0 (BSC/ZF)