Financial Techniques and Analysis
Rhedir gan Bangor Business School - (Changsha)
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Ms Wendy Ashurst
Note: The module comprises a trading simulation component running alongside weekly lectures on core financial mathematics and analytical techniques.
The module aims to develop mathematical and analytical skills to a level that allows the use of quantitative techniques in a wide variety of Financial and Economic applications, including but not limited to securities trading and investment. The core part of the module introduces financial mathematics and techniques that are applicable to decision-making in a wide range of contexts. The purpose of the trading simulation part is to develop the application of analytical and valuation techniques in the specific context of stock market investment, using spreadsheet modelling and simulated securities trading within a virtual dealing environment.
The module covers quantitative techniques that are applicable in a wide variety of Financial and Economic contexts: the time-value of money, including future values of capital sums and savings plans, present values of capital sums and annuities, and compound interest; investment appraisal, including Net Present Value (NPV) and Internal Rate of Return (IRR); investment risk and return; gradients and introduction to differentiation; price elasticity and firm production functions; second derivatives and optimization problems. In addition, the module provides an overview of exchange traded securities (including equities, or ‘stocks’), and the trading simulation component will introduce the application of key financial techniques in the context of securities trading. This will involve real-time trading of securities in a virtual portfolio using the Stocktrak simulation software.
B- to B+ (60-69%): Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
C- i C+
C- to C+ (50-59%): Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
D- to D+ (40-49%): No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
A- to A+ (70%+): Outstanding performance. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Understand the application of financial mathematics techniques to value cash flows that take place over time.
Apply all techniques to business, economics and finance problems involving cash flows such as revenues, costs, profit and interest.
Understand and be able to implement techniques for investing in exchange-traded securities.
Derive and manipulate algebraic equations, differentiate and solve optimization problems.
|Practical Skills Assessment||25.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
2-hour lecture per week.
|Practical classes and workshops||
1-hour 'trading simulation' workshop per week.
Private study will include time reviewing lecture materials and recommended reading, completing exercises, and revising for assessments.
1-hour drop-in workshop per week
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N405: BSc Accounting & Finance (Bangor College, China) year 1 (BSC/AFBC)
- N392: BSc Banking & Finance (Bangor College, China) year 1 (BSC/BFINBC)