COMPUTING 1 (Introduction to Problem Solving and Programming)
Rhedir gan Bangor University International College
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mrs Laura McKenzie
1) To introduce students to the notion of problem solving through use of computer applications 2) To provide students with a basic understanding of algorithms and their uses 3) To provide students with the additional experience of developing and using simple software programs to help solve particular problems 4) To prepare students with a basic introduction to the techniques of data handling and processing and to the syntax of programming languages for their work on the later years of a Computing degree
This module recognises that students will come onto the programme with a wide range of experience with computers and in computer programming. The syllabus aims to give students the opportunity to study problem solving techniques and to see how data processing, the use of algorithms and aids to logical thinking can be deployed in designing software applications to assist in solving practical and everyday problems. Students are introduced to the notion of programming and the syntax appropriate to programming languages but no particular language is studied in detail. The module’s intention is to build and refine transferable skills that will be of use to the students when they progress onto the later years of their Computer Science degree. Key topics Problem solving techniques Data capture, handling and representation Construction and use of algorithms Logical and computational thinking Notion of programming and the syntax of programming languages Construction of simple software programmes to solve particular problems
Student has demonstrated sound, basic knowledge and practical techniques in tackling many of the topics and tasks covered in the module and so shown clear suitability for undergraduate degree studies.
Student has performed effectively in all aspects of the module and has demonstrated a high level of suitability for and can proceed with confidence to undergraduate degree studies.
Student has coped sufficiently well with some aspects of the module to achieve the minimum level of pass to allow progression onto an undergraduate degree programme.
Demonstrate an understanding of the construction and use of algorithms
Demonstrate an understanding of the notions underlying programming languages
Use problem solving techniques including logical and computational thinking to solve practical and everyday problems
Work towards solutions to set problems by the use of simple software applications
Explain the importance of and the techniques associated with data capture and representation
|GWAITH CWRS||5 Tasks||
5 Individual Tasks relating to content delivered throughout the module.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Work in a laboratory setting.
Seminar style classes.
Private study including reading, prepping and writing assessments.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Demonstrate knowledge and use of useful software packages
- Demonstrate the ability to undertake practical work, on computers and the capability to work in a laboratory collecting, organising and presenting data using appropriate techniques
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Core Text Book
Reeves, B (2015) AQA A Level Computer Science Hodder Education
Heathcote, PM and Heathcote RSU (2016) AQA AS Computer Science 2nd edition Payne-Galway (PG Online)
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H61B: BEng Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 0 (BENG/CSE1)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 0 (BENG/ELE1)
- I11B: BSc Computer Information Systems (4 year with Incorp Found) year 0 (BSC/CIS1)
- IN0B: BSc Computer Information Sys for Bus (4 year w Incorp Found) year 0 (BSC/CISB1)
- G40B: BSc Computer Science (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 0 (BSC/CS1)
- H64B: BSc Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 0 (BSC/CSE1)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 0 (BSC/ELE1)