Media Studies (News Media)
Rhedir gan Bangor University International College
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mrs Laura McKenzie
The aims of this module are to introduce students to the key concepts underpinning a range of media activities. It considers the role and impact of the media in the context of wider society through a study of the news media. Students are also to be introduced to the notion of textual criticism and theory. In terms of study skills, the module aims to assist students develop their skills of critical thinking and problem solving and to function more effectively as independent learners.
Key concepts which students will be required to apply to the examples of media activity and range of texts and subject matter studied throughout the module include Representations, Institutions, Language (including Narrative and Genre), Values and Ideology and Audiences.
Students review the past, present and possible future roles of the media in society, analyse and evaluate a range of national and local newspapers in terms of approach, journalistic values and target audience. They consider issues around ownership of press and broadcasting, values and ideology and market segmentation.
Students engage in analysis and evaluation of media coverage of a current news issue or story (both print and broadcast), chosen to facilitate coverage of notions of balance and bias, censorship and journalistic ethics.
Students also study variety within the media and the impact of technological developments – the Internet, 24 hour news coverage, digitisation, use and influence of social media, both in creating and ‘reporting’ news stories
Student has made sufficient progress in the study of this module to achieve the lowest level of pass allowing for progression onto an undergraduate degree.
Student has engaged consistently well with all aspects of the module and strong achievement in assessments indicates the ability to perform effectively at undergraduate degree level.
Student has displayed a sound basic knowledge and understanding of much of the material studied in this module and achieved a high enough grade to indicate a clear ability to cope with the demands of an undergraduate level degree.
Show a knowledge of the role of print and electronic media in contemporary society
Demonstrate an awareness of the range and variety within the mass media
Demonstrate an understanding of the key concepts involved in media studies
Demonstrate an understanding of the theory and practice of textual criticism and analysis
|Interim class test||25.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
50 hours of contact time per week in lecture style seminars.
50 Hours of private study per week
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- M93B: BA Criminology & Criminal Just (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 0 (BA/CCJ1)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 0 (BA/CST1)
- LL2B: BA Sociology & Economics (4 yr with Incorporated Foundation) year 0 (BA/ECS1)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 0 (BA/FLM1)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 0 (BA/JMS1)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 0 (BA/MS1)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 0 (BA/MSTP1)
- L31B: BA Sociology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 0 (BA/S1)
- L41B: BA Social Policy (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 0 (BA/SOCP1)
- LL1B: BA Social Policy & Economics (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 0 (BA/SPEC1)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/PHS1)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BSC/PS1)
- C84B: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psych (4 yr with Incorp Foundn) year (BSC/PSYFP1)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 0 (LLB/L1)
- M1NB: LLB Law with Accounting & Finance (4yr with Incorp Found) year 0 (LLB/LAF1)
- MN1B: LLB Law with Business (4year with Incorporated Foundation) year 0 (LLB/LBS1)
- M1LB: LLB Law with Social Policy (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 0 (LLB/LSP1)
- M1MB: LLB Law with Criminology (4 yr with Incorporated Foundation) year 0 (LLB/LWCR1)