Media Studies (Film & TV)
Rhedir gan Bangor University International College
10.000 Credydau neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mrs Laura McKenzie
The aims of the module are to broaden students’ knowledge of critical and cultural theory and to develop their understanding of the theoretical aspects of film and TV production with an emphasis on story-telling. Students learn about and reflect on the processes involved in film and TV programme production and consider the relationship between film and programme makers and their audiences. In terms of academic study skills the students will be given a context in which to develop their team-working skills.
The emphasis in the module is on the study of Film and TV with a focus on story-telling through Fiction. This requires the student to learn and evaluate film and TV language, analyse the roles played by image, sound and music, mise-en-scene, sets and setting, and to understand the notion of genres and their conventions.
Students consider the stages involved in film or TV production and the roles of major studios, public broadcasting and commercial organisations and the independent film-makers in the context of sources of finance, distribution and aesthetic values.
Students also consider the relationship between film makers and their audience – audience positioning and targeting, audience reading and assumptions and the expectations of audiences themselves and look at the work of film and programme-makers in a wider cultural context.
Excellent (A- to A*) (70-100%) Student has engaged consistently well with all aspects of the module and strong achievement in assessments indicates the ability to perform effectively in the later stages of an undergraduate degree
Threshold (D- to D+) (40-49%) Student has made sufficient progress in the study of this module to achieve the lowest level of pass allowing for continuation onto stage two of an undergraduate degree.
Good (C- to B+) (50-69%) Student has displayed a sound basic knowledge and understanding of much of the material studied in this module and achieved a high enough grade to indicate a clear ability to cope with the demands of the later stages of an undergraduate level degree.
1) Demonstrate an understanding of major aspects of film and TV direction and production
5) Demonstrate the ability to work effectively with others in a team to produce a group presentation
2) Show a basic understanding of film theory
4) Show how film and TV operate within and contribute to the development of a cultural context
3) Demonstrate an awareness of how different elements of film-making contribute to effective story-telling
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Lessons will divided between a presentation on key aspects of film and practical tasks set in small groups. Students will be encouraged to debate, discuss, role-play and consider some of the central themes discussed
Students will develop independent learning skills and work with others to research, view and understand key concepts in film and TV
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Student will need to purchase the core text book
Benyahia S C (2008) AS Film Studies Routledge
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 0 (BA/CST1)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 0 (BA/FLM1)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 0 (BA/JMS1)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 0 (BA/MS1)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 0 (BA/MSTP1)