People, Space & Identity
People. Space and Identity 2023-24
School Of Natural Sciences
Module - Semester 2
- Conceptualising space and place: Definitions of space, nature and landscape
- Theorising space: Key thinkers on space
- Theorising identity : Key thinkers
- Key thinkers on Space , landcape and nature
- The social and cultural production of space and identity
- The making and governance of spaces
- Conceptualising the " body"
- Contesting space: Exclusion and marginalisation,
-threshold -(Standard Pass: D- to D+)a.No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills.b.Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements.c.Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.d.Use of primary literature.
-good -(Average to high standard Pass: C- to B+)a.Much or most of the relevant information and skills accurately displayed.b.Good/adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements.c.Good/fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.d.Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.e.Critical use of primary and other literature cited in the lecture.
-excellent -(Excellent standard First Class: A- to A**)a.An outstanding performance, exceptionally able.b.The relevant information accurately deployed.c.Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements.d.Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.e.Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.Critical use of literature beyond that cited in the lecture.
- Describe and critically engage with the ideas of key thinkers on space and identity, applying a range of relevant literature
- To conceptualise the "Body" and " identity"
- To develop and present coherent and appropriate arguments in an exam format.
- To foreground contested spaces and identities and the political forces which shape them.
- To identify key issues and concepts in space and identity
- To reflect on the social and cultural construction of identity, space , nature and landscape.
- To synthesise and summarise Peer Reviewed literature and present in a seminar presentation.
Individual seminar presentation
Field work Examined Task Presentation
Exam (Centrally Scheduled)