Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Simon Valle
1) To provide training in some of the skills used by professional conservationists (conservation monitoring, estimating population size, studying animal behaviour, management planning) 2) To ensure students understand responses to threats in biodiversity (both globally, nationally and locally)
1) To provide training in some of the skills used by professional conservationists: a) Conservation monitoring (some theory eg type I and type I errors, the concept of power) and introduction to some UK based and international schemes b) Study design and experimental design for conservation biology and ecology (stratification, precision and bias) c) Estimating population size (quadrats, mark and recapture, distance sampling, territory mapping); d) Measuring biodiversity across scales (diversity indices); e) Management planning and measurable indicators of conservation state including, including common standards monitoring and compliance monitoring. f) Understanding human behaviour 2) Understanding conservation responses: a) Buisness and biodiversity b) Biodiversity offsets and Payments for Ecosystem Services c) Landscape scale conservation d) local case studies of real world conservation projects.
Grade A- and above Examination answers Summarise information given during the module, and acquired through background reading/study, and present it in a way that directly answers the question with elements of clear interpretation and discussion. Assessments Describe the objectives of the exercise and detail methods used to achieve the Objectives in a clear and concise manner. Present results in a clear and organised manner demonstrating understanding of relevant statistical results and being critical of their limitations as appropriate. Discuss the results largely using material in excess of that provided in class.
Grade D- to D+ Examination answers Summarise information given during the module and present it in a way that is relevant to the question Assessments Describe the objectives of the exercise and detail methods used to achieve the objectives. Present the results. Discuss the results using material provided in class.
Grade C- to B+ Examination answers Summarise information given during the module and present it in a way that directly answers the question with elements of interpretation and discussion. Assessments Describe the objectives of the exercise and detail methods used to achieve the objectives in a clear and concise manner. Present results in a clear and organised manner demonstrating understanding of relevant statistical results. Discuss the results largely using material provided in class.
Understand the fundamentals of conservation management planning.
Discuss and critically evaluate potential responses to biodiversity loss.
Understand and be able to implement common field techniques used by conservation professionals and researchers.
Apply principles of sampling and experimental design to studies in conservation.
Structure a coherent written argument with reference to the literature.
Write up a scientific report along standard structure including correct presentation of results and referencing to the wider literature.
|Mark & Recapture Practical report||0.00|
|Management Planning practical report||0.00|
|Office Use Only (best mark from submitted reports)||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private study and guided self-study
21 hours of lectures
3*4 hour field practical classes/field visits
|Practical classes and workshops||
1*5 hour practical class
|Practical classes and workshops||
1*2 hour computer practical introducing the essentials of management planning.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Undertake field and/or laboratory studies of living systems.
- Undertake practical work to ensure competence in basic experimental skills.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Collect and record data generated by a diverse range of methods.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Appropriate gear for outdoor research-this is essential. Students will not be allowed on trips if they don't come appropriately dressed.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-2009.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 2 (BSC/APTME)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 2 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 2 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- D503: BSc Conservation with Forestry with International Experience year 2 (BSC/CFIE)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 2 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 2 (BSC/CWF4)
- C328: BSc Wildlife Conservation year 2 (BSC/WLC)
- C332: BSc Wildlife Conservation with Place Yr year 2 (BSC/WLCP)
- C3L2: BSC Zoology with Conservation year 2 (BSC/ZC)
- C3L3: BSc Zoology with Conservation with International Experience year 3 (BSC/ZCIE)
- C3L4: BSc Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZCP)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 2 (MZOOL/CONS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 2 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 2 (BSC/ECON4)
- F854: BSC Environmental Management year 2 (BSC/EM)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 2 (BSC/ENIE)
- C305: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour (with International Exp) year 2 (BSC/ZABIE)
- C319: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies year 2 (BSC/ZCC)
- C304: BSC Zoology with Herpetology year 2 (BSC/ZH)
- C329: BSc Zoology with Primatology year 2 (BSC/ZP)
- C330: BSc Zoology with Ornithology year 2 (BSC/ZR)
- C3D3: BSC Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 2 (BSC/ZWAB)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 2 (MZOOL/AB)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 2 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C325: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with International Exp year 2 (MZOOL/ZAIE)
- C321: MZool Zoology with Climate Change year 2 (MZOOL/ZCC)
- C326: MZool Zoology with Herpetology with International Experience year 2 (MZOOL/ZHIE)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 2 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 2 (MZOOL/ZR)