Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Simon Valle
1) To provide training in some of the skills used by professional conservationists (conservation monitoring, estimating population size, studying animal behaviour, management planning) 2) To ensure students understand responses to threats in biodiversity (both globally, nationally and locally)
1) To provide training in some of the skills used by professional conservationists: a) Conservation monitoring (some theory eg type I and type I errors, the concept of power) and introduction to some UK based and international schemes b) Study design and experimental design for conservation biology and ecology (stratification, precision and bias) c) Estimating population size (quadrats, mark and recapture, distance sampling, territory mapping); d) Measuring biodiversity across scales (diversity indices); e) Management planning and measurable indicators of conservation state including, including common standards monitoring and compliance monitoring. f) Understanding human behaviour 2) Understanding conservation responses: a) Buisness and biodiversity b) Biodiversity offsets and Payments for Ecosystem Services c) Landscape scale conservation d) local case studies of real world conservation projects.
Grade A- and above Examination answers Summarise information given during the module, and acquired through background reading/study, and present it in a way that directly answers the question with elements of clear interpretation and discussion. Assessments Describe the objectives of the exercise and detail methods used to achieve the Objectives in a clear and concise manner. Present results in a clear and organised manner demonstrating understanding of relevant statistical results and being critical of their limitations as appropriate. Discuss the results largely using material in excess of that provided in class.
Grade D- to D+ Examination answers Summarise information given during the module and present it in a way that is relevant to the question Assessments Describe the objectives of the exercise and detail methods used to achieve the objectives. Present the results. Discuss the results using material provided in class.
Grade C- to B+ Examination answers Summarise information given during the module and present it in a way that directly answers the question with elements of interpretation and discussion. Assessments Describe the objectives of the exercise and detail methods used to achieve the objectives in a clear and concise manner. Present results in a clear and organised manner demonstrating understanding of relevant statistical results. Discuss the results largely using material provided in class.
Understand the fundamentals of conservation management planning.
Discuss and critically evaluate potential responses to biodiversity loss.
Understand and be able to implement common field techniques used by conservation professionals and researchers.
Apply principles of sampling and experimental design to studies in conservation.
Structure a coherent written argument with reference to the literature.
Write up a scientific report along standard structure including correct presentation of results and referencing to the wider literature.
|Mark & Recapture Practical report||0.00|
|Management Planning practical report||0.00|
|Office Use Only (best mark from submitted reports)||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private study and guided self-study
21 hours of lectures
3*4 hour field practical classes/field visits
|Practical classes and workshops||
1*5 hour practical class
|Practical classes and workshops||
1*2 hour computer practical introducing the essentials of management planning.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Safety-Consciousness - Having an awareness of your immediate environment, and confidence in adhering to health and safety regulations
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Undertake field and/or laboratory studies of living systems.
- Undertake practical work to ensure competence in basic experimental skills.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Collect and record data generated by a diverse range of methods.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Appropriate gear for outdoor research-this is essential. Students will not be allowed on trips if they don't come appropriately dressed.
Rhestr ddarllen Talishttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-2009.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 2 (BSC/APTME)
- C185: BSc Applied Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Exp (5yr) year 2 (BSC/APTMIE)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 2 (BSC/ATME)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 2 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 2 (BSC/CWF4)
- C328: BSc Wildlife Conservation year 2 (BSC/WLC)
- C332: BSc Wildlife Conservation with Place Yr year 2 (BSC/WLCP)
- C3L2: BSC Zoology with Conservation year 2 (BSC/ZC)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 2 (MZOOL/CONS)
- CD35: MZool Zoology with Conservation w International Experience year 3 (MZOOL/ZCIE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 2 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 2 (BSC/ECON4)
- F710: BSC Marine Environmental Studies year 2 (BSC/MES)
- F713: BSc Marine Environmental Stud with International Experience year 2 (BSC/MESIE)
- F79P: BSc Marine Environmental Studies year 2 (BSC/MESP)
- C305: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour (with International Exp) year 3 (BSC/ZABIE)
- C335: BSc Zoology with Animal Management year 2 (BSC/ZAM)
- C38P: BSc Zoology with Animal Management with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZAMP)
- C319: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies year 2 (BSC/ZCC)
- C327: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies w International Exp year 3 (BSC/ZCCIE)
- C304: BSC Zoology with Herpetology year 2 (BSC/ZH)
- C307: BSc Zoology with Herpetology (with International Experience) year 3 (BSC/ZHIE)
- C34P: BSc Zoology with Herpetology with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZHP)
- C329: BSc Zoology with Primatology year 2 (BSC/ZP)
- C330: BSc Zoology with Ornithology year 2 (BSC/ZR)
- C3D3: BSC Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 2 (BSC/ZWAB)
- C3DP: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ZWABP)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 2 (MZOOL/AB)
- C30P: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/ABP)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 2 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C3HP: MZool Zoology with Herpetology with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/HERPP)
- C336: MZool Zoology with Animal Management year 2 (MZOOL/ZAM)
- C39P: MZool Zoology with Animal Management with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/ZAMP)
- C321: MZool Zoology with Climate Change year 2 (MZOOL/ZCC)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 2 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C33P: MZool Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 2 (MZOOL/ZPP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 2 (MZOOL/ZR)