Field Course: Geography
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Graham Bird
This module is a week long, UK-based field course, which may contain residential field work. Students will undertake a series of field visits, which explore issues of man's exploitation of the environment, with particular reference to earth resources and other geographical themes. The module aims to provide students with opportunities to apply theoretical and technical methods to the field environment, and to appreciate how natural and socio-economic processes that might be regarded as 'general' are conditioned by the social and environmental character of a specific place. Inherent within the module, students will be required to undertake field study skills in order to make observations and collect quantitative and qualitative data.
The field course involves field visits and student-led research activities focused on a range of geographical themes. The activities will focus on developing subject knowledge and also transferable field and research skills. The course will involve summatively and formatively assessed group work as well as individually-authored assessment.
Grade D- to D+ The student displays a basic understanding of the principles and basic knowledge of subject. Relevant information is presented to a basic depth. Most of the key issues are identified but there may be some omissions or gaps in understanding. Links between theory and practice are not well developed.
Grade B- to B+ The student displays sound knowledge of subject, and an ability to use both field observation and published information to produce perceptive and well-structured arguments. Clear presentation of information with some critical thinking.
Grade A- and above The student demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of subject and clear ability to pull together various elements of the course material. Evidence of background reading. There are no major areas omitted and the student demonstrates a strong ability to critically analyse and evaluate relevant information. A clear, concise, descriptive style of presentation in the work presented.
C- i C+
Grade C- to C+ The student displays an adequate understanding of the principles and basic knowledge of subject. Relevant information is accurately presented but there may be omissions and/or a lack of de3pth in certain areas. Links between theory and practice are made, however in general there is a lack of criticality in the work presented.
Demonstrate a critical and analytical understanding of geographical processes occurring in human and physical environments.
A practical understanding of field-based research methods in human and physical geography.
Be able to exemplify and assess the impacts of earth resource exploitation on physical and social environments.
Appreciate the reciprocal relationships between natural and human environments.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1*4 hour presentation session
Private and guided self-study
5*8 hour days of fieldwork (involving overnight stays away from Bangor)
12 hour and 11 hour lectures
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Apply appropriate techniques for presenting spatial and/or temporal trends in data.
- Prepare effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
- Undertake field and/or laboratory studies to ensure competence in basic experimental and/or fieldwork skills.
- Engagement with current subject developments and their application.
- Demonstrate the independence and skills required for continuing professional development
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
For residential fieldwork, the School will pay for bed and breakfast accommodation with students being responsible for purchasing/providing other meals as required.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-2015.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- L700: BA Geography year 2 (BA/GEOG)
- L702: BA Geography (4 yr with placement) year 2 (BA/GEOG4)
- L701: BA Geography (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/GEOGIE)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 2 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 2 (BSC/GEF4)
- F807: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry with Intl Exp year 2 (BSC/GEFIE)
- F800: BSC Geography year 2 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 2 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- F840: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography year 2 (BSC/PGO)
- F84P: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/PGOP)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 2 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 2 (MGEOG/GIE)