Using Geographical Data
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Simon Willcock
The purpose of this module is for students to undertake and present a piece of desk-based research into a topic of their choice within the subject of geography. The research will include the collation and analysis of secondary data-sets and will form part of students’ research training ahead of carrying out their M-level dissertation. Students will be required to identify a research question and contextualize this through the production of a literature review. Secondary datasets will need to be analysed using appropriate quantitative and/or qualitative methods.
The nature of students’ activities will vary given the differing topics that will be investigated. However, introductory lectures will focus upon identification of research questions, literature reviews and sourcing and analysis of secondary data. Students will attend seminars in which they will discuss progress made on their project and receive formative feedback from staff and their peers. Drop-in sessions will provide students the opportunity to seek guidance on their project. Students will be required to make a presentation of their research findings (summatively assessed) prior to the submission of a final written project.
Grade C- to B+ Presentation covers all the main points of the brief but omits some minor details. Slides are clear, the talk is audible, and there is a good attempt to engage with the audience. Most of the questions asked by the audience are answered satisfactorily. The written report follows required format and contains required content. A review of the literature is present, which shows evidence critical evaluation that contextualizes and rationalizes a stated research question. Well-structured and executed data analysis and appropriate interpretation, which draws extensively on the literature.
Grade D- to D+ Presentation covers several of the main points of the brief but omits some important details. Slides are readable and the talk is audible, but there is little engagement with the audience. Some, but not all, of the questions asked by the audience are answered satisfactorily. The written report follows required format and contains required content. A review of the literature is present that contextualizes a stated research question. Adequate data analysis and appropriate interpretation.
Grade A- to A** Presentation covers all the main points of the brief in as much detail as time allows. Slides are of a high professional standard, the talk is audible, and there is excellent engagement with the audience. All of the questions asked by the audience are answered in detail. The written report is produced to an excellent standard and demonstrated clear evidence of critical thinking throughout. Error-free and discerning data analysis, professional-standard visuals and an extensive use of the literature.
Identify and contextualize a research question within the subject of geography.
Plan, conduct and report an investigation and draw valid conclusions.
Identify and apply appropriate analytical methods for the analysis of secondary datasets.
Present the findings of their investigation clearly and concisely using both oral and written means.
|Research Question Rationale||10.00|
|Data analysis and main findings||15.00|
|Final essay submission||75.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1:1 meetings with students discussing progress and queries
Individual project time
Group seminar with students shared queries
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Awareness of the concepts of spatial and temporal scale in understanding processes and relationships.
- Appreciation of the reciprocal nature of human-environmental relationships.
- Apply appropriate techniques for presenting spatial and/or temporal trends in data.
- Preparation of effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-3709.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F801: MGeog Geography year 3 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 4 (MGEOG/GIE)