Research and Communication Skills
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
15.000 Credyd neu 7.500 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr James Gibbons
The primary aim of this module is to introduce of MSc students to the research process and to enhance your capacity to conduct independent research for your dissertation. A secondary aim is to consider the implications and dissemination of your research to various audiences.
This module is taught in association with DXX4534 (10 credits) and DXX4527 (20 credits).
We will consider how research is conducted and the logic underlying it, how to design a study, what questions to ask, how to collect the right data and analyse the data. This will be achieved using data from a short field study early in semester 1. Following on from that, what use we can make of our findings – a consideration of different reporting methods for various audiences. Those in DXX4527 will report their findings via an individual dissemination document. Throughout this semester, we will enhance your skill set via a number of practicals in R statistics (increasing analytical skills and coding skills) and ArGIS (providing the ability to use spatial data). Further additional training in numeracy (using Excel) and agent-based modelling (using Netlogo to model human and animal behaviour) will be available.
Early in semester 2, you will start the process of choosing your dissertation topic. In preparation for your dissertation, you will be introduced to a range of different kinds of study which may be undertaken for your dissertation, and how to plan these studies. As groups, you will undertake a mini-project in which you will identify a tractable, policy-relevant scientific question, and design, plan and carry out a fieldwork-based study to gather supporting evidence. This work culminates in the preparation of an individual poster, summarising your mini-project for a scientific audience. Following this, we will consider the ethical, health & safety and practical aspects of scientific research work. You will then individually present your dissertation idea orally as a ‘pitch to peers’ proposal in front of your class and the course director. You will receive feedback from both staff and fellow students, allowing you to refine your dissertation ideas. Finally, at the end of the module, you will produce an ‘Expression of Interest’ for your dissertation idea. This written work will include full risk and ethics assessments.
The scientific method and logic; the research matrix; introduction to the research process; experimental and study design; collection, entering and analysis of data in small scale projects; consideration of different kinds of research suitable for MSc dissertations; dissertation planning; specific techniques used in research; assessment of ethics and risk in research; dissemination of research findings; writing for different audiences; the why and how of fieldwork; training in R, ArcGIS, Excel, Netlogo & environmental evidence.
Mark of C- to C+ A sufficient level of involvement in some aspects of the experimental process. Scientific report covers the fundamentals of the experiment, but is based mainly on material provided during the module, showing little evidence of supplementary reading or original information and lacking critical analysis. Best practice note written in an inaccessible style or format AND contains superfluous detail. Policy briefing document omits certain relevant detail AND contains superfluous detail.
Mark of B- to B+ A reasonable level of involvement in many aspects of the experimental process. Scientific report reasonably well developed, showing good understanding and knowledge of the chosen topic. Evidence of supplementary reading, original information and some critical thought. Best practice note written in an inaccessible style or format OR contains superfluous detail. Policy briefing document omits certain relevant detail OR contains superfluous detail.
Mark of A- to A** A full involvement in all aspects of the experimental process. Scientific report very well developed, showing excellent understanding and depth of knowledge of the chosen topic. Evidence of substantial supplementary reading, sound collection and use of original information, and much critical thought. Best practice note written in an easily accessible style or format with contains no superfluous detail. Policy briefing document effective in conveying all relevant information with no superfluous detail.
Demonstrate an understanding of the logic underpinning the scientific method
Demonstrate the practical and theoretical skills to devise, plan, conduct and analyse experiments or a natural resource management study for various purposes.
Demonstrate the ability to convey the results of a scientific study to both scientist and non-scientist audiences
|GWAITH CWRS||Scientific Poster||40.00|
|LLAFAR||Pitch to peers||25.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Expression of Interest||35.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Two types of practical work: 1) collection of data in the field; 2) computer practicals (both R and GIS)
Class presentations and skills seminars
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Outdoor all-weather clothing and footwear.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-4535.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- D4AE: MSc Environmental and Business Management year 1 (MSC/EBM)