Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
1.000 Credydau neu 0.500 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Sopan Patil
The sandwich year may only be taken at the end of the second (i.e. level 5) year. Students are away for the whole of the academic year. The minimum period in placement (at one or more locations) is seven calendar months; more usually students spend 10-12 months with a sandwich placement provider. Students normally start sometime in the period June to September of their second year and finish between June and September the following year. Students should be willing to accept a placement in any part of the UK/World. All sandwich year placements have to be approved by SENRGy; the module co-ordinator and Health and Safety Officer. Placement documents should be submitted by the deadlines; unless discussed with the module coordinator and/or administrator.
The sandwich year may only be taken at the end of the second (i.e. level 5) year. Students are away for the whole of the academic year. All sandwich year placements have to be approved by SENRGy. The minimum period in placement (at one or more locations) is seven calendar months; more usually students spend 10-12 months with a sandwich placement provider. Students normally start sometime in the period June to September of their second year and finish between June and September the following year. You should be willing to accept a placement in any part of the UK. Assessment: As this year holds no credit there will be no formal assessment but you are required to submit a report reflecting on your time spent on placement.
Portfolio describes the placement organisation in detail, evaluates its position in its sector, explains in detail the work done by the student while on placement, makes critical and constructive suggestions for improvement at organisational and personal levels, and shows thoughtful engagement with the process of self-reflection.
Portfolio describes the placement organisation, explains the work done by the student while on placement, and shows some attempt at self-reflection.
Portfolio describes the placement organisation and explains its position in its sector, explains in detail the work done by the student while on placement, makes some suggestions for improvement at organisational and personal levels, and shows engagement with the process of self-reflection.
Reflect on their placement performance in terms of their strengths, weaknesses, personal skills and skills deficiencies
Explain the history, current activities and current structure of the organisation in which they spent their placement
Evaluate the position of the placement organisation in its sector
Describe in detail one area of the organisation's activities (if possible, one in which they were directly involved during the placement) and make suggestions for improvements in this area
Review their own contribution to this area of activity and to the organisation more generally
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Pre- and post-placement meetings and workshops
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sentistevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Safety-Consciousness - Having an awareness of your immediate environment, and confidence in adhering to health and safety regulations
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Mentoring - Able to support, help, guide, inspire and/or coach others
- Caring - Showing concern for others; caring for children, people with disabilities and/or the elderly
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
- Leadership - Able to lead and manage, develop action plans and objectives, offer guidance and direction to others, and cope with the related pressures such authority can result in
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Collect and record data generated by a diverse range of methods.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- L702: BA Geography (4 yr with placement) year 3 (BA/GEOG4)
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 3 (BSC/APTME)
- C185: BSc Applied Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Exp (5yr) year 3 (BSC/APTMIE)
- C13P: BSc Applied Terrestrial and Marine Ecology with Placement Yr year 3 (BSC/ATMEP)
- DDL5: BSC Conservation and Forest Ecosys year 3 (BSC/CFE4)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 3 (BSC/CWF4)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 3 (BSC/ECON4)
- F901: BSc Environmental Science (4 yr with placement) year 3 (BSC/ES4)
- D501: BSc Forestry (with sandwich placement) year 3 (BSC/F)
- D50P: BSc Forestry with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/FP)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 3 (BSC/GEF4)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 3 (BSC/GEOG4)
- C332: BSc Wildlife Conservation with Place Yr year 3 (BSC/WLCP)
- C3L4: BSc Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/ZCP)
- C36P: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/ZMZP)
- C32P: Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/ZPP)
- C3P0: BSc Zoology with Ornithology with Placement Year year 3 (BSC/ZRP)
- D513: MFor Forestry (with placement year) year 3 (MFOR/FORP)
- CD3P: MZool Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 3 (MZOOL/CONSP)
- C33P: MZool Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 3 (MZOOL/ZPP)
- C3P4: MZool Zoology with Ornithology with Placement Year year 3 (MZOOL/ZRP)