PCDA Theory to practice
PCDA Applying theory to practice: Studies of crime and victim studies 2023-24
School Of History, Law And Social Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
This module examines the main criminological and sociological theories relating to offending behaviour and victimisation. Drawing on the work of key theorist students will learn to critically analyse and evaluate them and their application to policing. Crime prevention and rehabilitation strategies and initiatives will be discussed and students will learn to evaluate and critique their effectiveness with discussion of current research in this area. Learning in this module is supplemented with a range of online educational resources and workplace learning.
Rhestr Darlithoedd / Class List: Classes will involve a combination of lecture content and group discussion regarding the application of criminological theory to the practical aspects of police work.
Session Workshop 1 The study of criminology 2 Role of the police in the practice of social control 3 Crime prevention and the use of rational choice theories 4 Repeat offending 5 Study of victimology 6 Role of early intervention in crime prevention and youth offending 7 Reviewing module content 8 Reviewing module content
In addition to the classes provided distance learning based material (this will include Panopto recordings, video resources and web based learning resources) will be provided via blackboard to supplement students learning. Students will be expected to access these resources following workshops in order to assist in the completion of assessment tasks and further explore key learning outcomes.
- Critically review the constitutional role of the police in contemporary society and the wider criminal justice system - Learning outcome 1
- Evaluate the appropriateness of different approaches (by professionals and the police) in supporting or managing vulnerable people or people at risk of harm - Learning outcome 6
- Examine the development of victimology - Learning outcome 5
- Examine the process of offender rehabilitation - Learning outcome 4
- Review various aspects of the broader criminal justice system - Learning outcome 3
- Understand various criminological theories and their application to operational policing and decision making - Learning outcome 2