Museums – management, curation, exhibition design
Rhedir gan School of History, Philosophy and Social Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Raimund Karl
This module is an introduction to Museum Studies and aims to introduce students to the central questions of curatorship, museology and museum management. We will examine the history of the development of the museum as a cultural institution, the role of museums in modern society, and contemporary theory and critiques of museums. We will look at the different types of museums and at how museums are managed, collections curated, conserved, made accessible and presented to the public. We will look at the various methods and practices used in museum learning, and at how exhibitions are designed. As an important part of this module, we will visit museums during field trips and work in a museum context (using the School’s teaching collections, housed in Gwynedd Museum and Art Gallery Bangor, or other collections held by GMAGB), engaging directly with the key resources required for successfully running a museum: collections, information, infrastructure and people.
Practical skills: Curating collections, designing exhibitions and/or museum learning programmes, strategically managing (museum) resources
Theoretical knowledge: Diachronic and synchronic knowledge of the evolution of the role of museums in society, of key resources in museum management, of methods, principles and practices of collections management and curation, exhibition design and museum learning programmes.
A- - A*: An excellent student will have produced an original or unusually creative proposal for a major exhibition, demonstrating outstanding knowledge and understanding of aspects of museology, collections management, curation, exhibition design or museum learning. S/he will also have produced a particularly innovative or creative exhibition design and display, demonstrating a well-developed ability to design a simple exhibition and utilize key museum resources.
D-: A threshold student will have produced a satisfactory, if somewhat flawed or incomplete proposal for a major exhibition, demonstrating basic knowledge and understanding of aspects of museology, collections management, curation, exhibition design or museum learning. S/he will also have produced an exhibition design and display, demonstrating a basic ability to design a simple exhibition and utilize key museum resources, though with some flaws.
B+ - C-: A good student will have produced a competent proposal for a major exhibition, demonstrating solid knowledge and understanding of aspects of museology, collections management, curation, exhibition design or museum learning. S/he will also have produced a competent exhibition design and display, demonstrating a sound ability to design an exhibition and utilize key museum resources.
Developed understanding of the methods and principles of exhibition design and museum learning.
Developed understanding of the principles of museum collection management and curation.
Developed understanding how these key resources are effectively and strategically utilised to achieve the museum’s aims and objectives.
Detailed knowledge of the key resources required for operating museums.
Detailed knowledge of the historical development of museums and their collections and the roles of museums in contemporary society.
Ability to design exhibitions and elements of exhibitions.
Ability to conduct core museum collections management tasks.
|Prop for Exhibition||50.00|
|Design and Display||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
9 hours of seminars, one hour per week starting week 2 and ending in week 11
11 hours of lectures, one hour per week starting week 1
10 hours of field trips and Museum practicals (blocked on one or two suitable dates during the semester)
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- problem solving to develop solutions to understand the past
- understanding the complexity of change over time; in specific contexts and chronologies
- being sensitive to the differences, or the "otherness" of the past, and the difficulty to using it as a guide to present or future action
- being sensitive to the role of perceptions of the past in contemporary cultures
- producing logical and structured arguments supported by relevant evidence
- planning, designing, executing and documenting a programme of research, working independently
- marshalling and critically appraising other people's arguments, including listening and questioning
- demonstrating a positive and can-do approach to practical problems
- demonstrating an innovative approach, creativity, collaboration and risk taking
- presenting effective oral presentations for different kinds of audiences, including academic and/or audiences with little knowledge of history
- preparing effective written communications for different readerships
- making effective and appropriate forms of visual presentation
- making effective and appropriate use of relevant information technology
- making critical and effective use of information retrieval skills using paper-based and electronic resources
- collaborating effectively in a team via experience of working in a group
Alexander, Edward P., Museums in Motion, An Introduction to the History and Functions of Museums, AASLH, 1996 Anderson, Gail (ed). Reinventing the Museum. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press, 2004 Archibald, Robert R. The New Town Square: Museums and Communities in Transition. Walnut Creek, CA, 2004 Bourdieu, Pierre. The Love of Art: European Art Museums and Their Public. Cambridge: Polity Press, 1997. Cameron, Fiona and Sarah Kenderdine, eds., Theorizing Digital Cultural Heritage: A Critical Discourse (Media in Transition), The MIT Press, 2007 (digital version) Carbonell, Bettina, Museum Studies: An Anthology of Contexts, Blackwell Publishing, 2003 Carr, David. The Promise of Cultural Institutions. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press, 2003 Dædalus: America's Museums, Volume 128, Issue 3. Cambridge: American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1999 Cuno, James (ed.). Whose Culture? The promise of museums and the debate over antiquities. Princeton: University Press, 2009 Din, Herminia and Phyllis Hecht, eds, The Digital Museum: A Think Guide, Amer Assn of Museums, 2007 Falk, John H. and Lynn D. Dierking, Learning from Museums: Visitor Experience and the Making of Meaning. AASLH, 2000 Genoways, Hugh H., Museum Philosophy for the Twenty-first Century, Rowman Altamira, 2006 Glaser, Jane and Artemis Zenetou, Mastering Civic Engagement. Washington, D.C.: American Association of Museums, 2002 Gurian, Elaine Heumann. Civilizing the Museum. London and New York: Routledge, 2006 Hirzy, Ellen Cochran,ed., Excellence and Equity: Education and the Public Dimension of Museums. American Association of Museums, 1992 Hooper-Greenhill, Eilean. Museums and the Interpretation of Visual Culture. London and New York: Routledge, 2000 Hooper-Greenhill, Eilean. Museums and the Shaping of Knowledge. London and New York: Routledge, 1992 Karp, Ivan and Steven D. Lavine, eds. Exhibiting Cultures: The Poetics and Politics of Museum Display. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press in association with the American Association of Museums, 1991 Karp, Ivan, Corinne A. Kratz, Lynne Szwaja, and Tomás Ybarra-Frausto (eds), Museum Frictions: Public Cultures/Global Transformations. Duke University Press, 2006 Karp, Ivan, Christine Mullen Kreamer, and Steven D. Lavine, Museums and Communities: The Politics of Public Culture. Washington , D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1992 Knell, Simon J, Sheila Watson and Suzannne MacLeod, Museum Revolutions: How Museums Change and Are Changed, London and New York, Routledge, 2007 Marty Paul F., Museum Informatics: People, Information, and Technology in Museums, Routledge, 2008 Phillips, Ruth B. and Christopher B. Steiner, Unpacking Culture: Art and Commodity in Colonial and Postcolonial Worlds. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1999 (Digital version) Pitman, Bonnie (ed). The Presence of Mind: Museums and the Spirit of Learning. Washington, DC: American Association of Museums, 1999 Sandell, Richard (ed). Museums, Society, Inequality. London and New York: Routledge, 2002 Seitel, Peter, ed., Safeguarding Traditional Cultures: A Global Assessment. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage, 2001 Schwarzer, Marjorie, Riches, Rivals and Radicals: 100 Years of Museums in America. Washington, D.C.: American Association of Museums, 2006 Weil, Stephen. A Cabinet of Curiosities: Inquiries into Museums and their Prospects. Washington and London: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1995
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- V1V9: BA History with Archaeology with International Experience year 4 (BA/HAIE)
- V1V4: BA History with Archaeology year 3 (BA/HAR)
- VVV2: BA Philosophy and Religion and Welsh History year 3 (BA/PRWH)
- VP23: BA Welsh History and Film Studies year 3 (BA/WHFS)
- VW2H: BA Welsh History and Music year 3 (BA/WHMU)
- LVH2: BA Welsh History/Sociology year 3 (BA/WHS)
- V401: MArts Archaeology year 3 (MARTS/ARCH)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- 3QV1: BA History and English Literature year 3 (BA/ELH)
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 3 (BA/FSH)
- V100: BA History year 3 (BA/H)
- V103: BA History and Archaeology year 3 (BA/HA)
- VV41: BA Herit, Archae & Hist year 3 (BA/HAH)
- VV42: BA Heritage, Archaeology & History with International Exp year 4 (BA/HAHIE)
- MVX1: BA History/Criminology year 3 (BA/HCR)
- LV11: BA History/Economics year 3 (BA/HEC)
- V10F: BA History [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/HF)
- RV11: BA History/French year 4 (BA/HFR)
- V1W6: BA History with Film Studies year 3 (BA/HFS)
- V1W7: BA History with Film Studies with International Experience year 4 (BA/HFSIE)
- RV21: BA History/German year 4 (BA/HG)
- 8B03: BA History (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/HIE)
- RV31: BA History/Italian year 4 (BA/HIT)
- RV32: BA History and Italian (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/HITIE)
- V1P5: BA History with Journalism year 3 (BA/HJ)
- 8S11: BA History with Journalism (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/HJIE)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 3 (BA/HMU)
- VW14: BA History and Music with International Experience year 3 (BA/HMUIE)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 4 (BA/HSP)
- LVJ1: BA Cymdeithaseg/Hanes year 3 (BA/HSW)
- V140: BA Modern & Contemporary History year 3 (BA/MCH)
- V130: BA Mediaeval and Early Modern His year 3 (BA/MEMH)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 4 (BA/MHIE)
- VVV1: BA Philosophy and Religion and History year 3 (BA/PRH)
- LV31: BA Sociology/History year 3 (BA/SH)
- LV41: BA Social Policy/History year 3 (BA/SPH)
- LVK1: BA Polisi Cymdeithasol/Hanes year 3 (BA/SPWH)
- QV51: BA Cymraeg/History year 3 (BA/WH)
- V1VK: BA Welsh History with Archaeology year 3 (BA/WHA)
- V104: BA Welsh History and Archaeology year 3 (BA/WHAR)
- VV12: BA Welsh History/History year 3 (BA/WHH)
- V102: MArts History with International Experience year 3 (MARTS/HIE)
- V101: MArts History year 3 (MARTS/HIST)