Circuit Design (inc. Digital Logic)
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Daniel Roberts
To provide the fundamentals of analogue and digital circuit analysis and design based on discrete devices to prepare learners for the Analogue Electronics and digital modules in the second year.
Indicative content includes:
• Circuit symbols and large signal behaviour of resistors, voltage sources and current generator.
• Physical explanation of the mode of operation of diodes and Transitors. I-V characteristics. Methods for biasing to operating (quiescent) point.
• Large signal vs small signal resistance. Calculating the small signal resistance. Transistor configurations and their small-signal equivalent circuits. Single stage audio and buffer amplifiers.
• Basic introduction to Operational Amplifiers.
• Half-wave rectification, full-wave rectification, bridge rectifier, ripple, Zener stabilisation, IC regulators. Voltage doubling - Cockroft Walton stack. RC signal conditioning and diode shaping circuits, DC restoration, clipping.
• Laws of Boolean algebra. De Morgan’s Laws of basic logic gates: OR, AND, NOT Exclusive OR (XOR)
• Digital Comparators; Parity generation and checking; Flip-flops; Memories.
• Karnaugh Maps; Multiplexers and demultiplexers; Shift Registers and Counters; Simple state machines.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Analyse the large signal behaviour of a Diodes and Transistors and their applications.
Apply the basic rules of binary logic and the operation of simple logic gates.
Design basic combinatorial and sequential logic circuits using logic gates.
Distinguish the I-V characteristics of resistors, constant voltage sources, constant current generators and their combinations.
Analyse the small signal behavior of Diodes and Transistors and their applications
|ARHOLIAD||Closed Book Examination||
Unseen end-of-semester examination.
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Laboratory Exercises and Write Up||
A series of laboratories. The lab assessment for this module is core, and this aspect must be passed at 40% in order to pass the module
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
2 X 3 hour lab sessions every week starting in week 5.
Tutor-directed private study including preparation.
8 tutorials spread.
36 hours worth of lectures. .
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of electronic engineering in an international context;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems engineering in an international context;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Formulate and analyse requirements and practical constraints of products, processes and services, place them in an engineering context and manage their implementation;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Development of general transferable skills
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
- Knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ice-1302.html
Introduction to Analogue Electronics - Bryan Hart;
Electronics: circuits and Systems - Owen Bishop;
Microelectronics - Jacob Millman & Arvin Grabel;
Electrical Circuit Theory and Technology - John Bird;
Electronics Fundamentals: Circuits, Devices and Applications - Thomas L. Floyd.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 1 (BA/MEE)
- H612: BEng Computer Systs Eng (3 yrs) year 1 (BENG/CSE)
- H61B: BEng Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BENG/CSE1)
- H610: BENG Electronic Engineering (3 yrs) year 1 (BENG/ELE)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BENG/ELE1)
- H621: BEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 1 (BENG/ELEIE)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 1 (BSC/EEM)
- H611: BSc Electronic Engineering year 1 (BSC/ELE)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BSC/ELE1)
- H661: MEng Control and Instrumentation Engineering year 1 (MENG/CIE)
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 1 (MENG/CSE)
- H619: MEng Computer Systems Engineering (with International Exper) year 1 (MENG/CSEIE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 1 (MENG/EE)