System Administration and Maintenance
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mr Andy Harbach
To provide a comprehensive understanding of the concepts and principles for System Administration. Students will develop skills to identify and analyze user needs and take them into account in the selection, creation, evaluation and administration of computer-based systems, and support professional practice within system administration. To provide practical experience of Linux server administration.
Indicative content includes:
- Understand the concepts and theories for system administration and the professional roles and responsibilities of different users / administrators.
- Understanding the need for, adding, removing, and managing user accounts.
- A practical use of Linux shell commands for system administration.
- Server administration including general management, network configuration, firewalls, database servers, file shares, web servers, DNS, and system monitoring.
- Backing up and restoring data.
- Practical understanding of process lists and resources. Understanding resources (filesystem, CPU). Monitoring users on server. Knowing when a system requires maintenance.
- Maintenance contracts. Deployment. Ethics. Understanding risks of performing an action. Automating routine tasks. Applying service packs and patches. System logs.
- Introduction to data protection and information security relating to system administration.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Configure, manage, and maintain a multi-user *nix-like system and environment.
Employ foundational skills to efficiently utilise a *nix-style OS, including scripting for automation.
Understand clients and their respective servers, and support usage of them.
Understand the roles and responsibilities and the main processes of system administration.
Understand the importance of good security, and data protection, apply this to a systems administration role.
|Class test 1||15.00|
|Shell scripting assignment||15.00|
|Installation and configuration of software 1||10.00|
|Class test 2||15.00|
|Class test 3||15.00|
|Installation and configuration of software 2||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Interactive sessions covering practical use of Linux and revision.
Completing lab work, revising material in preparation for the class tests. Completing assignments. Reading around the subject area.
Formal lectures covering theory.
Practical sessions using Linux. Includes three class tests and assignments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Demonstrate an awareness of current advances and contemporary approaches in the discipline and have strategies for keeping that awareness current;
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Problem solving strategies
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Recognise legal, social, ethical & professional issues
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial and economic issues
- Knowledge of information security issues
- Specify, design or construct computer-based systems
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
- Deploy tools effectively
- Deploy systems to meet business goals
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain information systems
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain computer-based systems
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ice-2801.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- I110: BSc Computer Information Systems year 2 (BSC/CIS)
- I11B: BSc Computer Information Systems (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/CIS1)
- IN00: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business year 2 (BSC/CISB)
- IN0B: BSc Computer Information Sys for Bus (4 year w Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/CISB1)
- IN02: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business (Franchised) year 2 (BSC/CISBF)
- I111: BSc Computer Information Systems with International Exp year 2 (BSC/CISIE)
- I11P: BSc Computer Information Systems with Industrial Placement year 2 (BSC/CISP)