Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Cameron Gray
To equip students with:
- requisite skills to conduct a review of available literature.
- an understanding of the range of sources and their relative worth to scientific endeavour.
- an appreciation of and methods to evaluate wider societal impacts of their work.
- a practical understanding of how projects/experiments should be reported within a scientific field.
Additionally; this module will deliver several employability sessions, including creating CVs, completing application forms, interview techniques, and providing information on potential career pathways.
Indicative content includes:
- Research theory basics: paradigms, domains and approaches.
- Contextualisation of Research Methods in relation to BSc project scope.
- Research process: design, planning, and implementation.
- Coping with information overload, selection of secondary sources, their critical evaluation and role in independent research. Structuring literature review to inform theoretical framework and justify selection of methodology.
- Research rationale; setting research objectives and developing hypotheses.
- Primary data collection methods.
- Statistical principles of data analysis.
- Summarising results and arriving to meaningful conclusions.
- Preparing research proposals.
- Professional, legal, social, cultural and ethical issues related to computing/engineering and an awareness of societal and environmental impact of research projects.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Recognise and employ all appropriate techniques, rules and conventions to communicate with a scientifically literate audience.
Distinguish the relative worth of different sources of research/information and construct an ordered review of these sources.
Employ methodologies for planning, conducting and reporting scientific experiments.
|Literature Survey Report||30.00|
|Open/Review Lecture Participation||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Interactive seminars with class activities.
Traditional lecture, including student Q&A
Private study and implementation of taught material, completing assignments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Problem solving strategies
- Recognise legal, social, ethical & professional issues
- Deploy tools effectively
- Development of general transferable skills
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ice-3002.html
Recommended, but not required:
- How to Design and Report Experiments, Andy Field & Graham Hole, ISBN 9780761973836
- Scientific Paper Writing: A Survival Guide, Bodil Holst, ISBN 9781516886265
- Critical Thinking Skills (3rd Ed), Stella Cottrell, ISBN 9781137550507
- The Study Skills Handbook (4th Ed), Stella Cottrell, ISBN 9781137289254
- Systematic Approaches to a Successful Literature Review, Andrew Booth & Diana Papaioannou & Anthea Sutton, ISBN 9780857021359
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H612: BEng Computer Systs Eng (3 yrs) year 3 (BENG/CSE)
- H61B: BEng Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BENG/CSE1)
- H610: BENG Electronic Engineering (3 yrs) year 3 (BENG/ELE)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BENG/ELE1)
- H61F: BEng Electronic Engineering year 3 (BENG/ELEF)
- H621: BEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 4 (BENG/ELEIE)
- H623: BSc Appd Electrical/Electron Eng Sys (Degree Apprenticeship) year 3 (BSC/AEEES)
- H301: BSc Appd Mechanical Engineering Systems (Deg Apprenticeship) year 3 (BSC/AMES)
- I110: BSc Computer Information Systems year 3 (BSC/CIS)
- I11B: BSc Computer Information Systems (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/CIS1)
- IN00: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business year 3 (BSC/CISB)
- IN0B: BSc Computer Information Sys for Bus (4 year w Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/CISB1)
- IN02: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business (Franchised) year 3 (BSC/CISBF)
- I111: BSc Computer Information Systems with International Exp year 4 (BSC/CISIE)
- I11P: BSc Computer Information Systems with Industrial Placement year 4 (BSC/CISP)
- G400: BSC Computer Science year 3 (BSC/CS)
- G40B: BSc Computer Science (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/CS1)
- G40F: BSc Computer Science year 3 (BSC/CSF)
- I103: BSc Computer Science with Game Design year 3 (BSC/CSGD)
- I102: BSc Computer Science (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/CSIE)
- GW49: BSC Creative Technologies year 3 (BSC/CT)
- H118: BSc Data Science & Artificial Intelligencetellig year 3 (BSC/DSAI)
- H113: BSc Data Science and Machine Learning year 3 (BSC/DSML)
- H114: BSc Data Science and Visualisation year 3 (BSC/DSV)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 3 (BSC/EEM)
- H611: BSc Electronic Engineering year 3 (BSC/ELE)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/ELE1)
- H622: BSc Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 4 (BSC/ELEIE)
- H117: MComp Computer Science year 3 (MCOMP/CS)
- H661: MEng Control and Instrumentation Engineering year 3 (MENG/CIE)
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 3 (MENG/CSE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 3 (MENG/EE)