Advanced Game Development
Advanced Game Development 2023-24
School Of Computer Science And Electronic Engineering
Module - Semester 1
Llyr Ap Cenydd
Indicative content includes:
- Modeling + Animation - Meshes, rigging, UV mapping, skinning, inverse kinematics, key-frame animation, dynamic animation, blend trees, motion matching.
- Rendering - Rendering pipelines, cameras, lighting, lightmaps, volumes, blending, shadows, shaders, post-processing, particle systems, tessellation, real-time ray-tracing.
- Scripting - Common algorithms, API calls, vectors and quaternions
- Performance and Optimisation - Profiling, object pooling, level of detail, draw calls, batching, culling, mobile optimisation.
- Physics - Collision detection, rigid bodies, joints, articulated figures, soft bodies.
- Navigation and AI - Pathfinding, nav-meshes, finite state machines, behavioural trees.
- Procedural Generation - Procedural generation of environment, characters, animation, gameplay.
- New Technologies - Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, cloud computing.
- Misc - audio, input, haptics, streaming, networking, analytics, tools.
- Critically reflect on different algorithms and techniques, and their impact on game development process and performance.
- Demonstrate intermediate C#/C++ programming skills.
- Demonstrate understanding of advanced game development concepts and techniques.
- Display knowledge of the state of the art and future of game development algorithms and techniques.
- Implement several advanced game development techniques in a game engine.
- Understand suitability of game development techniques across different platforms (PC, console, VR, mobile).