MSc Generalist Mini-project
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr William Teahan
To conduct project work in the context of the generalist programme and to present this work as a written report along with a demonstration.
This module will involve the student conducting a mini-project in any area related to the generalist programme. A suitable supervisor will be assigned according to the project chosen. In addition to the subject areas directly relevant to a particular project, the project work will cover the following: implementation and technology related issues; design, application and deployment; scientific method, transferable skills and science & engineering practice. Depending on the project, the work may occur in either the first or second semester. It may also require collaborative team working with researchers in other schools or centres of the university , or with a company.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 50%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Prepare a project plan demonstrating ability to selectively scope work.
Conduct the product in a scholarly and professional manner to deliver a finished article.
Critically evaluate the the project and its impact, focusing on context, outputs, and impact.
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Logbook / Portfolio||10.00|
Formal written report detailing the project, methodology, situation within the literature, and results obtained.
|ARDDANGOSIAD/YMARFER||Demonstration and Presentation or User Manual.||
Demonstration of product / tool and/or presentation. For example: user manual.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Weekly meetings with supervisor.
Individual project work.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply an understanding and appreciation of continuous improvement techniques
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems for controlling complex systems;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Formulate and analyse requirements and practical constraints of products, processes and services, place them in an engineering context and manage their implementation;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Plan, budget, organise and manage people and resources;
- Agree objectives and work plans with individuals;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Demonstrate an awareness of current advances and contemporary approaches in the discipline and have strategies for keeping that awareness current;
- Demonstrate an awareness of the need to work safely and comply within relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks;
- Have an appreciation of moral, ethical, financial and environmental issues that may need to be considered when practicing as an engineer.¬†
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Problem solving strategies
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Recognise legal, social, ethical & professional issues
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial and economic issues
- Knowledge of management techniques to achieve objectives
- Specify, design or construct computer-based systems
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
- Recognise risk/safety for safe operation of computing equipment
- Deploy tools effectively
- Work as a member of a development team
- Development of general transferable skills
- Deploy systems to meet business goals
- Methods, techniques and tools for information modelling, management and security
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain information systems
- Defining problems, managing design process and evaluating outcomes
- System Design
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
- Knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles
- Knowledge and understanding of computational modelling
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain computer-based systems
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Resources are specific to each project; in most cases, resources will already be available or in the public domain.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- G5BD: MSc Rise of the Machines year 1 (MSC/MACH)