Physical Activity and Health
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Aamer Sandoo
This module will examine a variety of factors that relate to physical activity and health which will be expanded on in subsequent years of study. On successful completion of this module students will be able to: 1 Understand the relationships between physical activity and physiological and psychological health. 2 Appreciate the importance of reducing cardiovascular disease risk using current physical activity guidelines. 3 Understand key principles behind physical activity, health promotion and adherence to exercise.
On successful completion of this module students will be able to: 1) Understand the relationships between physical activity and physiological and psychological health. 2) Appreciate the importance of reducing cardiovascular disease risk using current physical activity guidelines 3) Understand key principles behind physical activity, health promotion and adherence to exercise.
Important: Students who fail the module (overall module mark less than 40%) or miss module assessments, will be required to undertake a resit or first-sit assignment in the Supplementary Assessment Week (SAW). The SAW will be held in the second week of July 2018 (exact date to be confirmed nearer to the time). If you are resitting your assignment, your mark will be capped at 40%.
D- To D+ (40-49%) Student will demonstrate a basic understanding of the major principals behind physical activity, health promotion and adherence to exercise. Their answers will contain some errors or omissions and some reference to relevant literature (see addional criteria below).
C- To C+ (50-59%) Student will demonstrate some understanding of the major principals behind physical activity, health promotion and adherence to exercise. They will demonstrate adequate reference to relevant literature (see additional criteria below).
A- To A+ (70-100%) Student will demonstrate an excellent in-depth understanding of the major principals behind physical activity, health promotion and adherence to exercise. They will demonstrate evidence of wide research and reading of the relevant literature (see additional criteria below).
On successful completion of this module students will be able to: 1) Understand the relationships between regular physical activity and physical and mental health outcomes. 2) Understand key principles behind physical activity, health promotion and adherence to exercise.
|mcq 1 exam||50.00|
|MCQ 2 exam||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Class-based seminars with group discussion, interactive questions to test understanding of lecture content, and application of knowledge to real-life setting. Directed reading will also be given to help you in your private study time.
The best strategy is to go over the lecture content, contact the lecturer and book a tutorial for any information that is unclear or if you want to have a stimulating discussion about the topic! Try to search for relevant articles on PUBMED and watch Dr Aamer Sandoo's YouTube revision videos to consolidate your knowledge.
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- work effectively independently and with others
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Please note: it is NOT essential that you purchase these books as they are available in the normal site library. There are a limited number, so if you are having problems accessing them, please let us know. Additionally, any core reading from these books will be posted on blackboard under resources. In addition, for his component of the module, Aamer will create specialized revision videos on his YouTube Revision channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxfslQe8hBQ3fSrC31HcZDw) and post useful additional information and resources on his Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/DrAamerSandoo).
Blackboard Site – reading lists and links to useful papers will be posted on Blackboard, along with lecture handouts. Key papers will also be posted here.
Other resources: • Dishman, R.K et al (2004) Physical Activity Epidemiology, Human Kinetics
• Hardman, AE. and Stensel D (2009) Physical activity and Health: The evidence explained, Routledge
• Biddle, S.J.H., Mutrie, N. and Gorely, T. (2015). Psychology of physical activity: Determinants, well-being and interventions (3rd edition). London: Routledge
These books are located in the normal site library.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 1 (BSC/SHES)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 1 (BSC/SHPE)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 1 (BSC/SPS)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/SSIE)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 1 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/SS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 1 (BSC/ASS)
- C680: BSc Sport and Exercise Psychology year 1 (BSC/SEXP)
- C602: BSC Sport Science (ODA) year 1 (BSC/SSOA)
- 2W68: BSc Sports Science (Outdoor Activities) (with Int Exp) year 1 (BSC/SSOIE)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/ASS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 1 (MSCI/SSOA)