Intoduction to Applied Sport Science
Rhedir gan School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Julian Owen
Ever wondered how sport scientists help to improve sport performance in athletes? This module serves as an introduction to the process of supporting athletes with sport science in order to improve performance. The focus of the module is within sport physiology and psychology, and will help you to understand how to apply this knowledge to your favourite sport. There will be some emphasis on team sports within this module, although many of the aspects covered will be transferable to individual and non-traditional sports.
During the course, you will learn how to assess the demands of a sport, how to profile athletes, understand the stressful demands of training, how to monitor athletes through the training process, develop their psychological skills and how to help them recovery after training or competition. Lectures will introduce and develop students’ understanding of theoretical concepts whilst interactive discussions and 'real-world' case studies will help transfer this knowledge into the practical domain. The module is taught by academics with experience of working as practitioners in the field of supporting athletes and are active researchers in the field of sport performance.
D- Will have demonstrated some knowledge and understanding of the theoretical aspects of sport psychology and performance physiology. Limited ability to apply scientific understanding to the practice of supporting athletes. Limited ability to reflect on personal practice.
C- i C+
C- Will have demonstrated a good knowledge and understanding of the theoretical aspects of sport psychology and performance physiology. Good ability to apply scientific understanding to the practice of supporting athletes. Good ability to reflect on personal practice
B- Will have demonstrated very good knowledge and understanding of the theoretical aspects of sport psychology and performance physiology. Very good ability to apply scientific understanding to the practice of supporting athletes. Very good ability to reflect on personal practice
A- Will have demonstrated excellent knowledge and understanding of the theoretical aspects of sport psychology and performance physiology. Excellent ability to apply scientific understanding to the practice of supporting athletes. Excellent ability to reflect on personal practice. Evidence of independent reading and thought
Understand basic theoretical aspects of applied sports science
Apply principles of sports science to the high performance sporting environment.
Demonstrate competence of critical reflection
Demonstrate competence in verbal and written communication
|GWAITH CWRS||Applied Sport Science Case Study - Part B||60.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Applied Sport Science Case Study - Part A||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students will use this private study to complete homework tasks based on applying principles of sport science in practice, additional reading and study towards the online test.
Each of eleven two-hour session will include a one-hour lecture to disseminate information.
There will be two one hour seminars (optional) that students are free to attend to gain additional support to assist with understanding of lecture content to help with their case study preparation.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- accurately interpret case study data
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-1040.html
Exercise physiology: theory and application to fitness and performance - Scott K. Powers, Edward T. Howley, 2015
Sport and exercise physiology testing : guidelines : the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences guide - Edward M Winter; British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences.; British Association of Sports Sciences, 2006
Physiological tests for elite athletes - Christopher John Gore 1959-; Australian SportsCommission., 2000
Monitoring Training and Performance in Athletes - Mike McGuigan, 2017
Essentials of strength training and conditioning - Thomas R. Baechle 1943-; National Strength & Conditioning Association (U.S.), 1994
Physiology of sports - Thomas Reilly 1941-2009., 1990
Sport physiology for coaches - Brian J. Sharkey, Steven E. Gaskill, c2006
The Development of a Model for the Provision of Psychological Support to a National Squad - Lew Hardy, Gaynor Parfitt, 1994
Periodization: theory and methodology of training - Tudor O. Bompa, Greg Haff, ©2009
Professional Practice The Performance Profile: Theory and Application - Richard J. Butler, 2010-04-21
Understanding psychological preparation for sport: theory and practice of elite performers - Lew Hardy, J. Graham Jones, Daniel Gould, 1996
Applied sport psychology: personal growth to peak performance - 2015
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 1 (BSC/SHES)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 1 (BSC/SPS)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/SSIE)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 1 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/SS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 1 (BSC/ASS)
- C680: BSc Sport and Exercise Psychology year 1 (BSC/SEXP)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 1 (BSC/SHPE)
- C602: BSC Sport Science (ODA) year 1 (BSC/SSOA)
- 2W68: BSc Sports Science (Outdoor Activities) (with Int Exp) year 1 (BSC/SSOIE)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/ASS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 1 (MSCI/SSOA)