Applied Sport Psychology
Rhedir gan School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Tommie Du Preez
Do you want to pursue a career in sport psychology or work as an applied sport scientist? Then this module is a must! The aim of this module is to give you an insight on the skills required to be a successful sport psychologist as well as some of the techniques you might use with athletes, teams and coaches. This module is also perfect for those wanting to work with athletes and coaches as you will learn about the practical skills required to work as a sport scientist.
The module will start by looking at the skills required to be a successful sport science practitioner. You will then look at methods of conducting needs analysis with athletes, followed by looking at the psychological skills you can develop with your athletes and coaches. This module will also teach you how to conduct sport psychology support with teams and we will also look at supporting disability athletes.
This module will include a variety of “hands on” exercises which give you practical experiences of being a sport psychologist. The assessment for this module is very much applied and gives you the opportunity to complete a needs analysis including using questionnaires, interviews and observations as well as designing your own interventions for a sport of your choice.
Important: Students who fail the module (overall module mark less than 40%) or miss module assessments, will be required to undertake a resit or first-sit assignment in the Supplementary Assessment Week (SAW). Exact date of SAW will be confirmed nearer to the time.
Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area. Clarity of argument and expression. Depth of insight into theoretical issues, which comprehensively extends lecture material.
Adequate answer to the question, largely based on lecture material. No real development of arguments.
Reasonably comprehensive coverage. Well organised and structured. Good understanding of the material and evidence of independent thought that extends beyond lecture materials.
Understand the use of psychological profiling;
Identify areas of psychological strengths and weaknesses;
Identify strategies to improve weaknesses to enhance performance;
Apply psychological interventions;
Assess effectiveness of interventions used.
|Applied Experience Log||60.00|
|Apprising / improving teams, case study||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private study time is allocated so that students can complete the relevant reading for each lecture, complete the module assignment, and prepare for the end of module exam.
Lectures will be held for two hours every week. These will focus on how the applied aspects of working with athletes, needs analysis and strategies to improve performance. In order for students to understand these methods, they will be asked to complete a number of practical tasks during the lecture, both individually and in groups.
There will be 3 one hour seminars available (week 27, 29, 32) to support students in their coursework's for this module.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- plan and design practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- recognise and respond to moral, ethical, sustainability and safety issues that directly pertain to the context of study including relevant legislation and professional codes of conduct
- undertake fieldwork with continuous regard for safety and risk assessment.
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- develop knowledge of psychometric instruments
- accurately interpret case study data
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-2036.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 2 (BSC/SHES)
- CB70: BSc Sport, Health & Exercise Science with International Exp year 2 (BSC/SHSIE)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 2 (BSC/SPS)
- C60F: BSc Sports Science year 2 (BSC/SPSF)
- C60P: BSc Sport Science with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/SPSP)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/SSIE)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 2 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 2 (MSCI/SS)
- C613: MSci Sport Science with International Experience year 2 (MSCI/SSIE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- R2C6: BA German and Sports Science year 2 (BA/GSPS)
- CR6H: BA Italian/Sports Science year 2 (BA/ITSSC)
- CR61: BA Sports Science/French year 2 (BA/SPSFR)
- CR62: BA Sports Science/German year 2 (BA/SPSG)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 2 (BA/SPSSC)
- CQ65: BA Cymraeg/Sports Science year 2 (BA/SPSW)
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 2 (BSC/ASS)
- C61N: BSc Adventure Sport Sci with Business Man (Subj to Validn) year 2 (BSC/ASSBM)
- C61P: BSc Adventure Sport Science with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ASSP)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 2 (BSC/SHPE)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Management year 2 (BSC/SSB)
- C6N5: BSc Sport Science & Marketing year 2 (BSC/SSM)
- CN5P: Sport Science and Marketing with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/SSMP)
- C602: BSC Sport Science (ODA) year 2 (BSC/SSOA)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 2 (MSCI/ASS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 2 (MSCI/SSOA)