Physical Literacy in Physical Education
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
This module aims to develop your understanding of Physical Literacy and its relevance to today’s global health agenda. Furthermore, we will explore Pedagogical approaches within Physical Education that ensure the development of Physically Literate lifelong participants in physical activity.
Physical Literacy is a fundamental and valued human capability that has been described as: a disposition acquired by human individuals encompassing the motivation, confidence and physical competence that establishes purposeful physical activity as an integral part of their lifestyle (Whitehead)
This module begins by exploring current trends in global physical activity levels focussing on its cost, both human and economic. We will evaluate current trends in Physical Activity in Wales using the School Sport Survey data results from 2013 (n=10,000). Furthermore, we will analyse what the survey results tell us about participation trends and barriers to participation, and how these barriers can be eliminated.
An exploration of your personal Physical Literacy Journey and the development of a whole group vision for Physical Literacy will lead to a thorough understanding of Professor Margaret Whitehead’s definition of Physical Literacy.
Current examples of good practice will be shared (PLPS) and connections made between Physical Education, Physical Literacy and e.g. inclusion, learning difficulties (dyslexia).
To achieve a D- grade, students need to:
Completed pod cast correctly. Inappropriate/poor narrative or background music may affect the quality of the presentation. Content partially demonstrates an argument for immediate action on global physical inactivity. Little reference made to current obesity/physical activity research and data. There may be major omissions in the review of Physical Literacy. Review of holistic concept is incomplete although reference may be made to definition. Little or no review/evaluation of the relationship between Physical Literacy and Physical Activity. Little or in places confused reference to research/theory. Evaluation of strategies that support lifelong development of Physical Literacy is only partially developed. Overall the Podcast is more engaging.
To achieve an A- grade, students need to:
Podcast clearly demonstrates professional quality and originality in style and format. The podcast consistently uses multi sensory approach to captivate the viewer, images text and sound are co-ordinated and used imaginatively and with consistent impact. • Consistent presentation of an evidence based argument for immediate action on global Physical Inactivity with a specific focus on Wales • An in depth and complete review of the holistic concept of Physical Literacy (Whitehead, 2010) and its potential effectiveness in increasing physical activity levels through school and community experiences • The relationship between Physical Literacy and Physical Activity is presented and evidence consistently applied to support all arguments presented • Thorough evaluation of several pedagogical strategies that support the lifelong development of Physical Literacy with consistent reference to current research literature.
To achieve a C- grade, students need to:
Podcast will be clear and concise. Although the presentation may only be adequate due to defects in timing/inappropriate background music. Content provides an argument for immediate action on global physical inactivity, content is makes some reference to current obesity/physical activity research and data Some omissions in the review of Physical Literacy, however, review of holistic concept is poor although reference is made to e.g. Margaret Whiteheads definition. Review/evaluation of the relationship between Physical Literacy and Physical Activity is presented and evidence is used to support the arguments. Some reference made to research/theory, although further evaluation of strategies 2 of 3 02 Feb 2021 that support lifelong development of Physical Literacy is poorly developed.
Demonstrate a deep understanding of the Physical Literacy research (Whitehead, 2010) and assess its effectiveness in increasing levels of Physical Activity across the life course.
Critically review the evidence-based argument for the realisation of Physical Literacy informed Policy, Behaviour and Practice.
Critically evaluate the evidence-based strategies that operationalise Physical Literacy.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Workshops: 4 x 2 hrs
|Practical classes and workshops||
Practicals: 3 x 2 hrs
Private study time = 78 (made up of weekly reading: 22 Preparation of podcast assessment: 54)
Lectures: 4 x 2 hrs
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-3083.html
Sample Reading List
Durden-Myers, E. J., Green, N. R., Whitehead, M. E. (2018) Implications for Promoting Physical Literacy: Journal of Teaching in Physical Education. 37, 262-271
Whitehead, E., Durden-Myers, E. J., Pot, N. (2018). The Value of Fostering Physical Literacy: Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 37 (3). pp. 252-261.
Pot, N., Whitehead, M. E., Durden-Myers, E. J. (2018). Physical Literacy From Philosophy to Practice: Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 37 (3). pp. 246-251.
James Mandigo. J., Lodewyk. K., Tredway. J., (2018). Examining the Impact of a Teaching Games for Understanding Approach on the Development of Physical Literacy Using the Passport for Life Assessment Tool: Journal of Teaching in Physical Education. Volume 38: Issue 2. Pages: 136–145
Canadian Sport for Life. Movement Preparation Guide. www. canadiansportforlife.caof Physical Education, 6:2, 127-138. https://doi.org/10.1080/1740898010060205
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C617: BSc Sport Science, PE & Coaching year 3 (BSC/SSCPE)
- C64P: BSc Sport Science, PE and Coaching with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/SSCPEP)