Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Jonathan Moore
To module is intended to: 1) provide learners with a physiological framework for better understanding sports and exercise performance; 2) develop higher level subject specific and transferable skills; 3) prepare postgraduate students to meet the requirements of research, or employment outside of an academic / research environment
The content will be based around: Fatigue and performance, Steroid hormones and performance, Recovery and sleep, The training process, Sports-related workload management, athlete monitoring and preventing overtraining, Pulmonary limitations to performance, Cardiac and vascular limitations to performance.
Important: Students who fail the module (overall module mark less than 50%) or miss module assessments, will be required to undertake a resit (mark capped art 50%) or first-sit assignment.
Evidence of adequate knowledge and understanding of physiological foundations of sports and exercise performance. Little or no evidence of good subject specific and /or transferable skills
Evidence of good knowledge and understanding of physiological foundations of sports and exercise performance. Evidence of good subject specific and /or transferable skills
Evidence of excellent knowledge and understanding of physiological foundations biological sports and exercise performance. Evidence of excellent subject specific and /or transferable skills
Demonstrate systematic understanding in a range of physiological and biochemical factors affecting performance sport
Demonstrate scholarly ability to identify relevant information and to outline existing knowledge
Identify gaps and controversies in existing knowledge
|Written assignment, including essay||Critique of a topic from semester one||
You are required to write a balanced discussion and evaluation of strengths, weaknesses and applicability to performance physiology of a topic related to content covered in semester 1. A suggested sequence for the ‘critical review’ or ‘critique is: Section 1: A brief literature driven synthesis of your chosen topic Section 2: An overview of the current limitations that exist Section 3: Future directions for research in this topic Section 4: Devise an experimental design to test one of these future directions OR Discuss the applied implications of this topic for a sport practitioner 20 hours effort approx.
|CYFLWYNIAD GRWP||Presentation for performance director||
You are required to give an oral presentation to a high performance director from a sport of your choice. With reference to content delivered by Dr Jonathan Moore and/or Dr Julian Order, prepare and deliver a preparation strategy for optimizing athletic performance in the chosen sport. The format will involve two or three students presenting face-to-face, or online if required, with a follow up question and answer session. The focus of the assessment will be the capability to present information logically and coherently at the appropriate level that is of most benefit to the performance director.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
In-line with Bangor University's response to the outbreak of novel coronavirus, the approach will combine blended learning and flipped classroom on-line delivery. Learners work through the concepts in real time webinars with guidance from academic staff. Activities will include open discussions or work on tasks in smaller groups in online breakout rooms. Learning relies on independent study skills and full enagement with online and other learning activities assigned by the tutor.
Directed and self-directed learning (e.g., reading, preparing for assignments, watching other video resources, working with your fellow students on learning activities).
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-4007.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C6AC: MRes Sport and Exercise Physiology year 1 (MRES/SPEPH)
- C6AE: MRes Sport and Exercise Sciences year 1 (MRES/SPES)
- B6AL: MSc Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology year 1 (MSC/SPEXPHYS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C603: BSc Sports Science - intercalated year 3 (BSC/SPSC)
- B6AF: MSc Applied Sports Science year 1 (MSC/ASPS)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 4 (MSCI/ASS)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 4 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 4 (MSCI/SS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 4 (MSCI/SSOA)