Rhedir gan College of Arts, Humanities and Business
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Eben Muse
This module gives you the opportunity to investigate, under supervisory guidance, a topic or issue related to your chosen field of study. You will adapt the proposal from KAH-0003 Introduction to Research and Inquiry based on feedback received. You will then spend the semester completing the project. As you work you will complete a regular research log to record your progress and the decisions that you make. You will be supported in your independent enquiry through regular meetings with a supervisor from your chosen subject, practical workshops with the module leader, and feedback from your fellow students.
At the start of the module students will respond to feedback received on their research proposals in KAH-0003 and produce a revised version. They will complete the proposed research project over the course of the semester, supported by a supervisor from the chosen subject, practical workshops with the module leader, and reporting sessions with other students in which they will report on progress and provide peer-feedback. Practical workshops will focus on how to manage an independent research project, how to analyse and summarise data collected, and how to present the results in a project report making proper use of evidence.
D- to D+
- Has developed a basic level of factual and conceptual understanding of the subject; Reading/research is limited to that gained through class contact;
- There is some evidence of analysis and evaluation, but work is mainly descriptive with an uncritical acceptance of information, and unsubstantiated opinions may be evident; Lack of logical development of an argument;
- Shows a limited understanding of the application of research-informed literature or attempt to apply knowledge across situations; Responses may not be meaningful;
- Structure is weak and/or inconsistent and lacking in sequential development; Mistakes in grammar or syntax; Immature style; Citations and bibliography poorly or inconsistently presented; Demonstrates few qualities and transferable skills required for employment;
- Some evidence of ability to collect appropriate data/ information and undertake straightforward research tasks with external guidance;
- Can communicate in a range of formats, including orally, appropriate to the discipline(s), but with evident weaknesses;
- Can work effectively with others as a member of a group, and meet most obligations to others (e.g. tutors and peers);
- Able to recognise own strengths and weaknesses in relation to professional and practical skills identified by others, but lacking insight in some areas;
A- to A*
- Has developed a broad factual and conceptual understanding of the subject relative to the level through extensive reading;
- Has analysed and evaluated information using defined techniques & principles; Can collate and categorise ideas and information and can select what is relevant to support analysis and evaluation and develop a coherent argument, appropriate to the level of development; Has developed an early critical approach to information;
- Can generate a range of appropriate responses to given problems, some of which may be innovative; good reference to and application of research –informed literature;
- Well-organised presentation which develops flow and progression in a well-structured argument; Syntax/grammar indicates an appropriate level of maturity; Demonstrates a broad range of qualities and transferable skills required for employment;
- Can collect and interpret appropriate data and successfully undertake research tasks with a degree of autonomy;
- Can communicate very effectively in a range of formats, including orally, appropriate to the discipline(s);
- Can work very effectively with others as a member of a group, showing leadership skills where appropriate, and meet all obligations to others (eg tutors and peers);
C- to C+
- Has developed a sound understanding of the subject appropriate to this level; There is evidence of wider reading which goes beyond that gained from tutor contact;
- Intelligent attempt at analysing and evaluating information; Well argued with appropriate amount of evidence, substantiated opinions are given;
- Can apply knowledge of research-informed literature to different contexts and generate a range of responses to given situations;
- Structure is coherent and logical showing progression to the argument; There are few mistakes in presentation or citation; Demonstrates qualities and transferable skills required for employment;
- Can collect and interpret appropriate data/ information and undertake straightforward research tasks with external guidance;
- Can communicate effectively in a range of formats, including orally, appropriate to the discipline(s);
- Can work effectively with others as a member of a group, and meet obligations to others (eg tutors and peers);
- Able to evaluate own strengths and weaknesses in relation to professional and practical skills identified by others;
Plan and execute a research project appropriate to the problem under investigation
Collect and analyse data, form a conclusion and make practical recommendations
Write a research report using appropriate style, voice, citation and referencing
Apply research methodologies, methods, and analytical techniques to a defined problem
Develop detailed knowledge and understanding of a specific topic in their discipline
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Research Log||
Maintain a bi-weekly research log recording and reflecting on progress
Final report on research project
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Bi-weekly Student-led reporting sessions
Bi-weekly 1-hour workshop sessions
Bi-weekly Supervision meetings (6 15-minute) with subject supervisor.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to read and analyse texts and other primary sources, both critically and empathetically, while addressing questions of genre, content, perspective and purpose.
- Awareness of a range of viewpoints and ways to cope with this.
- Appreciation of the range of problems involved in the interpretation of complex, ambiguous, conflicting and often incomplete material.
- Intellectual independence to ask questions, set tasks, pursue structured enquiries and solve problems.
- The ability to formulate appropriate questions and to provide answers to them using valid and relevant evidence and argument.
- The ability to gather, sift, select quantities of evidence.
- Marshalling of argument in written form
- The ability to compose written arguments expressed in clear, lucid and coherent prose.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
There are no resource implications for students on this module.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/kah-0004.html
Walliman, N. (2010). Research Methods: The Basics. Abingdon: Routledge.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- QQCF: BA English Language & English Lit [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/ELLITF)
- R91F: BA French, German & Spanish [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/FGS4#F)
- V10F: BA History [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/HF)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/MSF)
- W30F: BA Music [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/MUSF)
- L20F: BA Politics [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/POLF)
- L30F: BA Sociology [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/SF)
- L40F: BA Social Policy [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BA/SOCPOLF)
- L30P: BA Sociology with Placement Year year 0 (BA/SOP)
- W32F: BMus Music [with Foundation Year] year 0 (BMUS/MUSF)