3 Language Project (2 major/1 minor)
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
10.000 Credydau neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Helga Mullneritsch
The aim of this module is to provide students with the opportunity to undertake an extended piece of work during their semester in a German-speaking country. The project enables students to develop in-depth knowledge of a specific element of German life, literature or culture while also enhancing their written and spoken level of German language. The chosen subject area should be something that is not already a specific component of the syllabus, thereby encouraging students to develop independent study and research skills.
Provided it meets with the approval of the relevant members of staff in Modern Languages, the chosen subject for the essay or the presentation may concern any aspect of German life, literature, history or culture. The chosen subject area should not be something that is already a specific component of the syllabus. The essay or presentation will be in the target language.
40-49%: Satisfactory comprehension of the chosen topic; limited display of independent research skills and limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
50-69%: Solid comprehension of the chosen topic; adequate display of independent research skills and good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
70+%: Detailed comprehension of the chosen topic; extensive display of independent research skills and excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
Display the ability to conduct research independently and show initiative in problem solving.
Demonstrate the ability to gather information and condense it effectively in a clear and coherent argument in the target language, orally or in writing.
Display solid evidence of original analytical thinking.
Display familiarity with citation and referencing techniques (including compiling a bibliography).
Display a high degree of competency in German language and grammar.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in sophisticated written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novel) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- Fully proficient to skilful oral communication and presentation skills (including delivery and argument development, discussion and defence) in the target language through individual and/or group discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in oral assignments, showing adroitness with a very wide range of topics and registers in formal and informal situations. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise more sophisticated written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Extract and synthesise key information from written and/or spoken sources in English / Welsh and/or the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to organise and present ideas within the framework of a structured and reasoned argument in written and/or oral assignments and class discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- Critical skills in the close reading, description, reasoning and analysis of primary and secondary sources in the target language and/or English or Welsh (incl. filmic, literary and other sources). (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.14, 5.15)
- Competence in the planning and execution of essays, presentations and other written and project work; bibliographic skills, including the accurate citation of sources and consistent use of conventions and appropriate style in the presentation of scholarly work. (Benchmark statement 5.10, 5.14, 5.15)
- The ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints and to place these in a wider socio-cultural and/or geo-historical and political and/or socio-linguistic context and to revise and re-evaluate judgements in light of those of the course leader, certain individuals or groups studied and/or fellow students. (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.15 and 5.16)
- The ability to write and think under pressure and meet deadlines. (Benchmark statement 5.15)
- The ability to write effective notes and access and manage course materials including electronic resources / information provided on online learning platforms and library resources. (Benchmark statement 5.15, 5.16)
- The ability to work creatively and flexibly both independently and/or as part of a team. (Benchmark statement 5.15).
- The ability and willingness to engage with and appreciate other cultures and to articulate to others (in written and verbal form) the contribution that the culture has made at a regional and global level. (Benchmark statement 5.7)
- The ability to organise and present ideas and arguments in presentations, classroom discussions and debates. (Benchmark statement 5.14, 5.16)
- The ability to develop and manage an independent research project in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4, 5.10, 5.15, 5.16)
Rhestr ddarllen Talishttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lzg-3031.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- T114: BA Chinese and German with French year 4 (BA/CHGF)
- T115: BA Chinese & German with Italian year 4 (BA/CHGI)
- T116: BA Chinese & German with Spanish year 4 (BA/CHGS)
- R901: BA French & German with Italian year 4 (BA/FGI4)
- R913: BA French & German with Spanish year 4 (BA/FGS4)
- R921: BA German & Italian with French year 4 (BA/GIF4)
- R924: BA German & Italian with Spanish year 3 (BA/GIS4)
- R922: BA German & Spanish with French year 4 (BA/GSF4)
- R923: BA German & Spanish with Italian year 4 (BA/GSI4)