Foundation in Molecules and Cells
Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Christopher Staples
This module will provide a grounding in key aspects of biochemistry, molecular and cellular biology that will underpin later learning in physiology, medical genetics, cell biology and therapeutics. The aim is to introduce important reaction cycles within the human body, the structure and roles of nucleic acids and key concepts of cellular organisation and function.
The module will cover the key molecules and pathways involved in metabolism, cell division and protein expression within the human body, showing the relationships between these processes and the differences in distinct tissues. The important role of enzymes in the control of biochemical pathways will be introduced, as will an introduction to cell signalling.
Threshold D- to D+ (40 – 49%) Student demonstrates basic factual information largely based on teaching notes. Key principles are generally accurate but with some errors or gaps in knowledge and understanding.
C- i C+
Satisfactory C- to C+ (50 – 59%) Student demonstrates reasonably comprehensive coverage of learning outcomes, indicating generally accurate understanding, based on lecture material and some core readings. Some gaps in knowledge and/or understanding evident.
Good B- to B+ (60 – 69%) Student demonstrates comprehensive and accurate coverage of learning outcomes, showing good use of teaching material and core readings. Is able to demonstrate broad knowledge of roles of important molecules and key cellular processes.
Excellent A- to A* (70 - 100%) Student has sophisticated knowledge of the biochemical and cellular processes within the human body. Very comprehensive and accurate coverage of learning outcomes, and ability to discuss inter-relationships between biochemical pathways and cellular function, indicating that the student has gone beyond the core readings and explored the topic in depth.
Demonstrate a basic understanding of the mechanisms by which signals are transmitted between and within cells
Explain the action and inhibition of enzymes, and the importance of cofactors.
Outline the structure and function of major biological molecules (including DNA and RNA).
Interpret chemical pathways associated with carbohydrate, lipid and protein metabolism in humans.
Outline the cell cycle including DNA replication and cell death.
Identify the structure and function of eukaryotic cellular organelles.
Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the structure of the human genome, and key concepts concerning inheritance.
|Multiple Choice Question Exam||40.00|
|Written exam comprising short answer questions and 1 essay||60.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private study to revise and supplement taught content. Directed reading, textbook suggestions and online resources in the form of animations, quizzes and videos are supplied. Students devise their own bank of MCQs and group-produced revision materials.
20 x 2 hour lectures spread across semester 1 and semester 2. These will incorporate student-led activities, such as case study / practice exam question discussions, DNA modelling to reinforce molecular biology concepts, and MCQ quizzes.
Please note, for 2020/21, a blended learning style of delivery will be used. Students unable to attend Bangor University campus will be able to follow all aspects of the teaching online. On campus teaching may be integrated, subject to Covid-19 related restrictions.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.