Marine Geology & Applications
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Margot Saher
The aims of this module are to provide: an understanding of the most prominent techniques used to reconstruct the history of the ocean; an understanding of the range of ways in which humans extract energy or material resources from the oceans; explanations of the physical and geological processes that must be understood in order to effectively and safely extract energy or material resources from the oceans; and finally, practice in communicating information on the topics covered as part of the module.
In these ways, students will gain an appreciation of the application of geoscientific understanding and knowledge to real-world scenarios.
This module provides insight into practical applications of marine geology. This is provided through a combination of baseline lectures by SOS marine geoscience staff as well as a series of guest lectures by specialists in the field. The baseline lectures will introduce the main underpinning physical and geological processes that need to be understood before that knowledge can be applied. The guest lectures will assume such understanding and will illustrate applications from their working experience. Key themes may include: climate reconstruction, carbon storage in marine sediments, oil and gas exploration, marine engineering (pipelines, communication cables, etc.), renewable energy, aggregate extraction, and seabed stability. These themes incorporate a variety of disciplines: palaeoclimatology, sedimentary geology, structural geology, process sedimentology, geotechnics, and geophysics.
The knowledge gained in this part of the module will then be applied in two ways: firstly, as a practical exercise in which you are presented with proxy data with which you perform a palaeoenvironmental reconstruction. Secondly, you will pick a topic of interest to you from within the module syllabus, and prepare and deliver a presentation to your peers as an oral presentation, and in written form as a Conversation-style article.
40% / D- Demonstrating a basic understanding of the methods used in palaeoclimatology, and a basic ability to integrate varied datasets of marine geological and other related data into a coherent narrative. Demonstrating a basic grasp of the applications of marine geology and their base in physical processes, and basic skills communicating these to an audience of peers.
55% / C: Demonstrating a good understanding of the methods used in palaeoclimatology, and a good ability to integrate varied datasets of marine geological and other related data into a coherent narrative. Demonstrating a good grasp of the applications of marine geology and their base in physical processes, and good skills communicating these to an audience of peers.
70% / A- Demonstrating an excellent understanding of the methods used in palaeoclimatology, and an excellent ability to integrate varied datasets of marine geological and other related data into a coherent narrative. Demonstrating an excellent grasp of the applications of marine geology and their base in physical processes, and excellent skills communicating these to an audience of peers.
On successful completion of this module, a student will be able to explain how offshore developments and resource exploitation are linked to the physical processes that create and have created them.
On succesful completion of this module, a student will have demonstrated an understanding of the major techniques used in palaeoceanography, and be able to critically analyse their application and their limitations.
On succesful completion of this module, a student will be able to integrate a range of complex datasets in order to reconstruct ocean history
On succesful completion of this module, a student will have demonstrated an ability to communicate an advanced topic within palaeoclimatology or applied marine geology, both clearly and effectively, to an audience of peers
|Conversation style article||30.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
It is expected that the student will require to manage their time in approximately this framework: On-going lecture review:46 Seminar research and preparation: 32 hours (c. 4 days) Independent research project research and preparation: 40 (c. 5 days) Exam revision: 51 (c. 6 days)
Seminars (1 full day organised as a Conference) Students pick a topic and prepare and deliver a presentation on it
Lectures, by both SOS staff and external speakers; 9 by SOS staff, and 6 remotely by guest lecturers. 2 X 1hr lecture per week (+ 1 wk with 1). (Time: 30 min prep/revision for every lecture included)
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
The Talis reading list for the to-be-replaced module, OSX-3012 will be used and expanded.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F650: BSC Geological Oceanography year 3 (BSC/GEO)
- F62F: BSc Geological Oceanography year 3 (BSC/GEOF)
- 8S54: BSc Geological Oceanography (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/GEOIE)
- F62P: BSc Geological Oceanography with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/GEOP)
- F652: MSci Geological Oceanography year 3 (MSCI/GO)
- F65P: MSci Geological Oceanography with Placement Year year 4 (MSCI/GOP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 3 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 4 (BSC/GEF4)
- F807: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry with Intl Exp year 4 (BSC/GEFIE)
- F800: BSC Geography year 3 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- CF17: BSC Marine Biology/Oceanography year 3 (BSC/MBO)
- C1F6: BSc Marine Biology & Oceanography (with Int Exp) year 4 (BSC/MBOIE)
- CF1P: BSc Marine Biology and Oceanography with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/MBOP)
- F710: BSC Marine Environmental Studies year 3 (BSC/MES)
- F713: BSc Marine Environmental Stud with International Experience year 4 (BSC/MESIE)
- F79P: BSc Marine Environmental Studies year 4 (BSC/MESP)
- F700: BSC Ocean Science year 3 (BSC/OS)
- F701: BSc Ocean Science with International Experience year 4 (BSC/OSIE)
- F70P: BSc Ocean Sciences with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/OSP)
- F840: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography year 3 (BSC/PGO)
- F84P: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PGOP)
- C3C1: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology (with International Exp) year 4 (BSC/ZMB)
- C350: BSC Zoology with Marine Zoology year 3 (BSC/ZMZ)
- C36P: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZMZP)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 3 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 4 (MGEOG/GIE)
- F712: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography year 3 (MSCI/MBO)
- F714: MSci Marine Biology & Oceanography with International Exp. year 4 (MSCI/MBOIE)
- F71P: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography with Placement Year year 4 (MSCI/MBOP)
- C353: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology year 3 (MZOOL/ZMZ)
- C354: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology with International Exp. year 4 (MZOOL/ZMZI)
- C37P: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/ZMZP)