Applying psychological theory to real-world problems
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Helen Morgan
This module aims to provide students with an insight into how psychological theory can be applied in real-world contexts. It focuses on how psychological theories and knowledge gained from psychological research are used in several different areas, such as criminal investigations, business and management, urban planning, and retail.
The module will cover topics in a range of applied areas, such as forensic psychology, environmental psychology, occupational psychology, and consumer psychology. Each lecture will focus on the application of psychological theory to specific problems, including the role of psychology in the workplace, how psychological knowledge can be used to improve the built environment, how knowledge about memory and face recognition can be used to aid criminal investigations, and how psychological theory can be used to understand and influence consumer behaviour. Students will learn about the core psychological theory and research evidence that underpins these applied areas.
Feedback is provided in the following ways: 1) During lectures; 2) Review time at the end of each lecture; 3) Feedback drop-in sessions for draft essay feedback; 4) Tutor feedback (written) through the feedback sheet and comments written on the essay; 5) Tutor feedback (grade only) on the final exam answers. 6) Open invite to meet with tutor to discuss on-going performance; assignment results, etc, during either office-drop-in times or pre-arranged meeting.
C- i C+
C- to C+ Demonstrates an adequate understanding of how psychological theory is used to solve practical problems within an applied area, with some development of arguments, but answer largely based on lecture material.
D- to D+ Demonstrates some understanding of how psychological theory is used to solve practical problems within an applied area, but with no real development of arguments, and answer largely based on lecture material.
B- to B+ Demonstrates a reasonably comprehensive understanding of how psychological theory is used to solve practical problems within an applied area. Well-organised and structured, including good descriptions and evaluation of research and theories within an applied area.
A- to A** Demonstrates a comprehensive and accurate understanding of how psychological theory is used to solve practical problems within an applied area. Well-organised and structured, including excellent descriptions of research and depth of insight into theoretical issues within an applied area.
Understand how psychological theory is used to solve practical problems across different applied areas.
Describe and evaluate research and theories that support these applied areas.
Demonstrate the application of psychological theory and research to a real-life problem.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
11 x 2 hour lectures. One per week.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Be computer literate for the purpose of processing and disseminating psychological data and information.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
A Talis reading list will be made available. The module will not have a core textbook, but will use journal articles, for example:
Dijksterhuis , A., Smith, P.K., van Baaren, R.B. & Wigboldus, D.H.J. (2005). The Unconscious Consumer: Effects of Environment on Consumer Behavior. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 15(3), 193-202.
Gifford, R. (2014). Environmental Psychology Matters. Annual Review of Psychology, 65, 541-579.
Kanas, N. (2015). Psychology in deep space. The Psychologist, 28, 804-807.
Wells, G.L. Malpass, R.S., Lindsay, R.C.L., Fisher, R.P. Turtle, J.W. & Fulero, S.M. (2000). From the lab to the police station: A successful application of eyewitness research. American Psychologist, 55(6), 581-598.
Wells, G.L. & Olson, E.A. (2003). Eyewitness testimony. Annual Review of Psychology, 54, 277-295.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C8N2: BSc Psychology with Business Management year 1 (BSC/PBM)
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 1 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 1 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 1 (BSC/PHSP)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 1 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BSC/PS1)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 1 (BSC/PSF)
- C80P: BSc Psychology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PSP)
- C813: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology year 1 (BSC/PSYFP)
- C81P: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PSYFPP)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 1 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- C84P: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PSYNP)
- C82B: BSc Psychology with Business (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BSC/PWB1)
- 2R88: BSc Psychology with Business with International Experience year 1 (BSC/PWBIE)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 1 (MSCI/PHS)
- C810: MSci Psychology with International Experience year 1 (MSCI/PIE)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 1 (MSCI/PS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C680: BSc Sport and Exercise Psychology year 1 (BSC/SEXP)