Cognitive Psychology 2023-24
School Of Human And Behavioural Sciences
Module - Semester 1
Intro to Cognitive Psychology // Visual Perception // Auditory & Speech Perception // Selective Attention & Theories of Attention // Learning & Memory // Decision-making
-threshold -(D+) Adequate answer to the question, largely based on lecture material. No real development of arguments.
-good -(B+) Reasonably comprehensive coverage. Well organised and structured. Good understanding of the material.
-excellent -(A+) Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area clarity of argument and expression. Depth of insight into theoretical issues.
- Demonstrate an understanding of auditory information processing with a focus on speech perception (Auditory Perception).
- Demonstrate an understanding of how we make decisions and the way in which these decisions can be influenced (Decision-making)
- Demonstrate an understanding of the cognitive approach and explain how psychological research is conducted from a cognitive perspective
- Demonstrate an understanding of visual information processing with a focus on object perception (Visual Perception).
- Evaluate the major theories of the principle memory systems and discuss how memory research and patient studies have contributed to our understanding memory, learning and forgetting processes (Memory)
- Outline the characteristics of selective and automatic attention, and evaluate the major theories of attention (Attention)
Assignment - this is a written assignment. Option 1 requires students to produce a set of 'magic 7' revision tips that draw upon theories and findings from learning, memory, and attention research.
Exam (Centrally Scheduled)