Stress, Anxiety, and Health
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Judith Roberts
This module will outline the main thinking about stress in terms of nature and definitions, with the primary focus on the transactional model of stress and coping. Students will learn that stress can be positive and negative, that it can be acute and chronic, that how it changes across the lifespan. An emphasis will be placed on the biological basis of our stress response and the impact on health and wellbeing. Students will also investigate behavioural responses to stressful demands placed upon us, and how we cope and why. The role of personality and the importance of social relationships will be considered. There will be a focus on our interpretation of events and how this can develop into an anxiety disorder. By the end of the module, students should understand the complexities of the relationship between stress, anxiety and health.
Topics include stress and anxiety disorders, resilience and coping, social relationships and stress, stress and personality, stress as a physiological response, stress add health outcomes, stress across the lifespan, psychological interventions, and prevention and wellbeing.
A- to A** - The work displays comprehensive knowledge and detailed understanding of stress, coping theories and stress appraisal, reflecting extensive background study - The work is highly focussed, well structured, logically presented and with defended arguments - The work considers the topics in an original way - The work is presented to a high standard with accurate information and no factual errors
D- to C+ - The work only demonstrates knowledge of key areas/principles of stress, coping theories and stress appraisal - There is limited evidence of originality or of background study - The work contains some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure Arguments are presented but they lack coherence - The work contains factual errors with little evidence of problem solving - The are weaknesses in the standard of presentation and its accuracy
B- to B+ - The work displays a sound knowledge of stress, coping theories and stress appraisal but with some limitations - There is evidence of background study - The work has a defined and logical structure but with some weaknesses in the way in the arguments are presented - There is some original interpretation of topics - The work is presented carefully with accurate information and few factual errors
Demonstrate an understanding of stress and coping as a transaction between the individual and environment.
Critically evaluate theories of acute and chronic stress and demonstrate an understanding of the links between stress and illness (physical or psychological).
Critically evaluate and synthesise coping theories, definitions and understand the distinction between coping styles and coping strategies.
Appreciate the nature and function of social support and how it influences stress appraisal, coping response and illness outcomes.
Demonstrate an understanding of the link between interpretation and emotional expression and its influence on stress appraisal, coping response and illness outcomes (physical and psychological).
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
10 x 2 hour lectures (1 week will be reading week and 1 will be revision week).
This will cover weekly reading time, preparing and taking assessments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in oral form.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students may need to print course content from blackboard.
Suggested reading materials will be provided for each weeks lecture.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 3 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 4 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 4 (BSC/PHSP)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 3 (MSCI/PHS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- LC31: BA Criminology & Crim Justice & Psychology (with Int Exp) year 4 (BA/CCJPIE)
- MC98: BA Criminology/Psychology year 3 (BA/CRP)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 3 (BA/CYP)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 3 (BA/ELPSY)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 3 (BA/LP)
- CL83: BA Sociology/Psychology year 3 (BA/PS)
- CL84: BA Social Policy/Psychology year 3 (BA/SPP)
- CL85: BA Social Policy & Psychology with International Experience year 3 (BA/SPPIE)
- C80B: BSc Psychology (Bangor Uni Intl Coll) year 3 (BSC/BICPS)
- C883: BSc Clinical Sports Science year 3 (BSC/CLSPS)
- N5C8: BSc Marketing with Psychology year 3 (BSC/MP)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 3 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/PS1)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 4 (BSC/PSF)
- C80P: BSc Psychology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PSP)
- C813: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology year 3 (BSC/PSYFP)
- C84B: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psych (4 yr with Incorp Foundn) year 3 (BSC/PSYFP1)
- C81P: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PSYFPP)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 3 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- C84P: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PSYNP)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 3 (MSCI/PS)