Research Methods and Skills
Rhedir gan School of Psychology
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Vivek Thuppil
The purpose of this module is to: Review and ensure the basic understanding of research methods and statistics suitable for the study of psychology at Masters level. The module will be based on weekly lectures supported by weekly seminars to allow the students to progress through the material. By the end of the module, students should be able to understand what research methods and statistical tools are available for use, and be able to select the appropriate tool to support the Master's level empirical project they will be conducting
It is expected that the students will enter the programme with a diverse range of skills. This module is to ensure that students on this programme are equipped with the basic research methods skills necessary to study psychology. The programme is not designed to prepare students for a future doctoral programme (Clinical and/or Research), but rather allow the study of psychology without the usual emphasis on research, research methods, and statistics. However, there is a level of competency in research methods and statistics required for an understanding of the area, as well as being able to carry out the Master's level empirical project. The course is designed for students to establish competency at a fundamental level for the following topics: research methods basics, basic and advanced experimental designs, parametric tests including correlation, regression, t-tests, ANOVA & Regression.
• Adequate answer to the question, largely based on lecture material. • No real development of arguments.
• Reasonably comprehensive coverage. • Well organised and structured. • Good understanding of the material. • Clearly written
• Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area clarity of argument and expression. • Depth of insight into theoretical issues. • Clarity of argument and expression.
At the end of this module, students should be able to demonstrate an understanding of research methods basics such as descriptive and inferential statistics
At the end of this module students should be able to use SPSS independently to run parametric and non-parametric statistical analyses
At the end of this module students should be able to distinguish between the various parametric and non-parametric statistical tests and its uses in various research designs
At the end of this module students should be able appraise the different types of research designs used in psychological research
At the end of this module students should be able to competently report scientific results and discuss their implications of the statistics
Students will be given an SPSS dataset for this assignment. Based on the knowledge obtained from the weekly lectures, students will be expected to run an appropriate analyses that was taught during the lectures, to answer a research question, and to write an APA formatted truncated research report. The report will consist of the following main sections: 1. Abstract - short summary of the research questions, results and interpretation 2. Results - analyses pertaining to the research question 3. Discussion - interpretation of the results and future directions
|GWAITH CWRS||Weekly Homework||
At the end of each lecture, students are given a blackboard task to be completed within a week. Each weekly homework tests concepts taught in class that week, and solidifies understanding of the weekly lecture. There will be approximately 10 questions to each weekly homework, in various formats that includes multiple choice, fill in the blanks, short answer questions, or short write-ups of results section.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Be computer literate for the purpose of processing and disseminating psychological data and information.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Comprehend and use psychological data effectively, demonstrating a systematic knowledge of the application and limitations of various research paradigms and techniques.
- Use a range of statistical methods with confidence.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/prp-4015.html
Text Book Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Sage, 4th Edition) Andy Field (Preferred Edition);
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C8DU: MSc Psychology year 1 (MSC/PSY)