Creative Writing: Poetry
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Joey Frances
- To examine ways of thinking creatively through an awareness of the creative processes and techniques of poetry.
- To develop an understanding of poetic form and its relationship to ideas.
- To explore concepts of context, audience and authorship,
- To develop an appreciation of the literary and cultural contexts of poetry.
Through individual tutorials and workshops, participants will learn how to develop an idea, carry out the necessary research, select an appropriate poetic form and style and construct a piece of writing suitable for its intended audience. Participants will be required to critically reflect on their own work and revise and edit as required. They will also be introduced to the work of other poets carrying out similar work, and appreciate the cultural and literary context in which their work is produced and received. By the end of the module participants will have written and edited a number of pieces of poetry and will understand the literary and cultural context of their work.
0-49% A (D) candidate’s work will show many of the following features: • Some originality and engagement with ideas. • Some sense of formal conventions and structures. • Occasionally inconsistent with regard to linguistic technicalities. • Some awareness of the creative process and of decisions made in writing. Sound work, but its strengths need to be more fully sustained to reach publishable standard.
60-69% A candidate’s work reaching Merit will show many of the following qualities: • Demonstration of vitality and originality; sustained engagement with ideas. • Very good understanding of generic conventions; sound use of structures, forms and technique. • Resourceful and imaginative use of language. • Clear critical understanding of the creative process and ability to think conceptually about decisions made in writing. • Very good work, approaching publishable standard.
50-59% A Pass (C) candidate’s work will show many of the following qualities: • Original and interesting work with an attempt at serious exploration of ideas. • Clear link between themes and form. • Technically proficient and well-focused use of language. • Sound critical understanding of the creative process and of decisions made in writing. • Good work, which at times comes close to publishable standard.
70% and above Typically, the work of a candidate reaching Distinction will show many of the following qualities: • Excellent levels of originality, vision and depth; striking and thorough engagement with ideas. • Excellent understanding and control of form and technique. • Impressive linguistic control and/or innovation. • Sophisticated critical understanding of the creative process and confident ability to conceptualise approaches to writing. • Dynamic work of publishable standard.
Understand the idea of thinking creatively and be able to use creative processes and techniques.
Know how to select an appropriate poetic form in order to carry out a creative idea.
Write with an appreciation of audience.
Develop an appreciation of the literary and cultural context of their work.
|One Poetry portfolio||100.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
i produce clear, accurate, artistically coherent and technically sophisticated written work, which articulates a combination of research and creative ideas ii communicate orally and through the written word concrete ideas and abstract concepts iii read as a writer - with an ability to analyse texts, performances and broadcasts, and respond to the affective power of language, using appropriate approaches, terminology and creative strategies iv use language in a sophisticated and nuanced fashion, with a heightened awareness of concision, voice, idiom, idiolect, simile, metaphor, analogy, rhythm and media-specific restraints v use reflective strategies to help capture and synthesize personal experiences and other research in an imaginative form vi apply a well-developed aesthetic sensibility and sense of intellectual inquiry vii employ an imaginative and divergent mode of thinking which is integral to identifying and solving problems, to the making of critical and reflective judgements, to the generation of alternatives and new ideas, and to engaging with broader issues of value viii edit their own work, and that of peers, with a high level of rigour and scrutiny, at the various levels of clause, line, sentence, stanza, paragraph but also at the structural level of overall scene, chapter, collection, book ix apply scholarly bibliographic skills when and where necessary x use the views of others in the development and enhancement of practice; formulate considered practical responses to the critical judgements of others, while developing a generous yet rigorous critical scrutiny in peer review and workshop activities xi view themselves as practitioners and reflect critically on their own creative writing practice xii conduct independent research, including that which is practice based.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q3AJ: Diploma Creative Writing (English) year 1 (DIP/CWE)
- Q3AK: MA Creative Writing (English) year 1 (MA/CWE)
- Q2W9: MArts English Literature with Creative Writing year 4 (MARTS/ELCW)