Creative Writing Dissertation
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
60.000 Credyd neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Zoë Skoulding
- To help students develop their autonomy as writers in a critically supportive context, through guidance from an experienced supervisor.
- To develop a sustained creative work in a chosen form.
- To enable development of a reflective approach to writing and redrafting that will support future independent and self-critical practice.
The Dissertation module constitutes Part Two of the MA, and represents the culmination of the programme of study in the production of a substantial piece of creative writing. Students are required to produce a 15,000-word piece of creative writing, the precise nature of which will be agreed in consultation with the supervisor. For poetry, work of an equivalent length, depending on the exact nature of the creative work submitted, will be negotiated with the supervisor. Early meetings will be used to discuss ideas, resources, and approaches, later meetings to discuss final drafts of the dissertation. The creative work will be accompanied by a critical reflection of 5,000 words.
To achieve this level a student will have completed all the Learning Outcomes to a level of competence. Written work will be of basic professional standard displaying qualities of motivation, and the ability to pursue ideas through to a conclusion, accompanied by evidence of critical reflection. It should be clear also that the student has developed the range of intellectual, practical and transferable skills implicit in the aims of the course.
This grade indicates competence throughout, with evidence of good levels of achievement in most, if not all Learning Outcomes. There will be coherence between finished written work, writing processes and research activity.
Very good: To achieve this grade a student will have exercised competence in most, if not all Learning Outcomes, and will have demonstrated excellence in at least one. Written work should be distinctive, approaching publishable quality and supported by related further study. There should be ample evidence of independent thought, good levels of motivation and the acquisition of a wide range of subject-specific and transferable skills. There should be a clear indication of the potential to pursue studies to a higher research level.
To achieve this grade a student will have exercised competence in most, if not all Learning Outcomes, and will have demonstrated excellence in at least one. Written work should be distinctive, approaching publishable quality and supported by related further study. There should be ample evidence of independent thought, good levels of motivation and the acquisition of a wide range of subject-specific and transferable skills. There should be a clear indication of the potential to pursue studies to a higher research level.
To produce an extended piece of work in a chosen genre.
An understanding of the concepts and techniques currently being applied in the chosen field.
The ability to develop sustainable writing practices which will support future work.
An understanding of the cycles of planning, reflection, revision and completion.
The ability to reflect effectively on their own writing and make improvements.
The ability to communicate persuasively and unambiguously in writing.
The ability to document evidence using an appropriate system of referencing.
|DISSERTATION||Creative Writing Dissertation||
Creative writing project of 15,000 words or equivalent, and commentary of 5,000 words.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The number of supervisions required will vary from student to student. The figure of 10 hours of supervision is advisory, and may include a mixture of email feedback and face to face meetings.
Group meeting to explain project.
A substantial project of creative-critical research.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.