Introduction to Language
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Athanasia Papastergiou
This is a foundation module which introduces students to the basic concepts in the study of natural language and to some of the tools required for language analysis. The module provides basic overview of a range of topics in the study of natural language, and lays the foundations for the study of core areas of Linguistics and English Language which will be developed in other first year modules (and in subsequent years), including phonetics, phonology (sound systems), morphology (word structure), syntax (sentence structure), and meaning (semantics and context of communication), and how these areas interact. Some more applied topics will also be introduced, such as Language Acquisition, Sociolinguistics and Language Pathology.
The language used for the purposes of exemplification in this module is primarily English, although other languages may also be referred to. The module will also cover some basic academic skills, including essay writing, planning and delivering oral presentations and exam preparation/revision. Some research skills will also be introduced through participation in the 'Adopt a Language' project, where students will collect information about a little-known language. The module will also make students aware of key/transferable skills that they will be developing in their degree, most notably critical thinking.
- To introduce students to the core areas of linguistics and to the basic terminology used in the analysis of natural language.
- To introduce students to the basic classification and analysis of natural language properties and phenomena.
- To introduce students to academic skills and key skills.
- To enable students to apply technical concepts and terminology to basic analysis of natural language data.
The course provides an overview of and introduction to a wide range of topics in the study of natural language, including:
- What is language?
- Morphology: words and their structure.
- Phonetics and Phonology: language sounds and sound systems.
- Syntax: sentence structure.
- Semantics and Pragmatics: meaning and context.
- Study Skills - essays, exams and presentations. - Adopt a Language project.
Other topics that may be covered will include a selection from:
- Language variation.
- Language change.
- Language acquisition.
- Language pathologies.
- Language and the brain.
Student has achieved the minimum acceptable standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all the learning outcomes. Student can demonstrate a minimum level of understanding of the basic concepts and be able to apply them to data with some degree of accuracy.
Student has achieved a better-than-average standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all learning outcomes, and has a clear and accurate understanding of concepts; ability to apply concepts to data critically and thoughtfully; evidence of wide reading and clear and accurate reference to source materials; free from misunderstanding and errors of content; free from irrelevant material.
Student has achieved a thorough standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all learning outcomes; or student has demonstrated an exceptional level of achievement in one or more learning outcomes together with a good overall standard: student has achieved a thorough understanding of the subject, both in terms of content and theory; student is able to apply concepts clearly and accurately; substantial evidence of critical and original thought and analysis; clear, logical argument; high level of communicative competence; free from irrelevant material and errors of spelling and punctuation; evidence of extensive reading beyond basic texts and clear and accurate references to source material.
Students will develop the ability to plan and write an academic essay, plan and prepare an oral presentation,and to prepare appropriately and effectively for examinations.
Students will demonstrate familiarity with the core areas of linguistics
Students will develop knowledge of basic terminology and techniques for the analysis of natural language.
Students will achieve a basic understanding of a wide range of topics in the study of natural language.
Students will develop a basic ability to analyse natural language data, and to carry out phonetic transcription.
|CYFLWYNIAD GRWP||Adopt a language final report||5.00|
|Written assignment, including essay||Online exam||55.00|
|Written assignment, including essay||Linguistic Analysis||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Seminars: 1 hour per week (over 9 weeks), with additional exercises to be done in the students' own time.
One 2 hour lecture per week over 11 teaching weeks.
In their own time, students will be expected to do further reading, go through materials covered in class and do further research on the topics, and prepare assignments.
Students are encouraged to see the lecturer on a one-to-one basis during published office hours (or by appointment) to discuss issues with the module content, seek clarification on topics and discussions, and discuss feedback on assessments and class exercises.
Directed Reading - students are given required reading each week (of about 2 hours) on the topic of that week's lecture.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Writing & scholarly conventions - students will be able to present data, argumentation, findings and references in written form in keeping with the conventions current in language science and English language studies.
- Oral presentation skills & scholarly conventions - students will be able to present data, argumentation, findings and references in oral form in keeping with the conventions current in language science and English language studies.
- Analysis & interpretation skills - students will be able to analyse, interpret data accurately, and draw appropriate conclusions based on the application of appropriate analytic and theoretical frameworks available in linguistics and English language studies.
- Research skills - students will be able undertake independent research, involving formulating a research question, identifying and deploying appropriate linguistic methodology (theoretical or empirical) and data collection techniques (theoretical, experimental or field-based), and the selection and application of appropriate theoretical frameworks in order to adequately address the research question.
- Evaluation & reflection - students will be able to critically evaluate a particular position, viewpoint or argument in relation to a specific area of investigation. They will be able to reflect on the efficacy of a particular approach, practice or performance, and moderate these as a consequence in order to achieve specific goals.
- Independent investigation - students will develop the ability to plan, design and execute a significant piece of research or inquiry, either independently or as a member of a team in order to discover a specific solution to an outstanding issue or question through searching out and synthesizing written, visual and oral information. Students will also develop skills of independent investigation, including interacting with peers and subjects/informants.
- Fluency, confidence and proficiency in the use of English -students will demonstrate their ability and proficiency to use and understand and instruct others in English in a range of academic and classroom contexts.
- Effective communication - students will develop the ability to communicate effectively, appropriately and confidently, in a range of contexts, to different audience types, and making use of a range of supporting materials
- Learning to learn - students will learn to reflect, modify and improve their learning strategies
- Awareness of and appreciation for linguistic and cultural differences - students will develop an awareness of and an appreciation for the range and nature of linguistic and cultural diversity
- Proficiency in the use of English in reading, writing, speaking and/or listening - students will demonstrate proficiency in their ability to use and understand English in a range of different contexts and via different media.
- Understanding of the nature and organization of language - students will demonstrate familiarity with observations and findings relating to various aspects of linguistic phenomena and organization.
- Understanding the nature of commonalities and differences across languages - students will demonstrate familiarity with phenomena and findings relating to universals and diversity exhibited by and across languages.
- Knowledge of the nature of language origins, change and use - students will demonstrate familiarity with phenomena and findings relating to the nature of language origins, the way language changes, and factors involved in and affecting language use.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/qxl-1110.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- T101: BA Chinese and Linguistics year 1 (BA/CHL)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 1 (BA/CSTEL)
- Q301: BA English Language year 1 (BA/EL)
- QQ3M: BA English Language & Cymraeg year 1 (BA/ELC)
- T123: BA English Language and Chinese year 1 (BA/ELCH)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 1 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 1 (BA/ELCW)
- Q310: BA Eng Lit with Eng Lang year 1 (BA/ELEL)
- QR3C: BA English Language and French year 1 (BA/ELFR)
- Q3WP: BA Eng Lang with Film Studs year 1 (BA/ELFS)
- QR3F: BA English Language and German year 1 (BA/ELG)
- Q312: BA English Language (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/ELIE)
- QR3H: BA English Language and Italian year 1 (BA/ELIT)
- PQ53: BA English Language & Journalism year 1 (BA/ELJO)
- 1Q3Q: BA Linguistics and English Literature year 1 (BA/ELL)
- QQC3: BA English Lang and Lit year 1 (BA/ELLIT)
- QQCF: BA English Language & English Lit [with Foundation Year] year 1 (BA/ELLITF)
- Q3P3: BA English Lang with Media Stds year 1 (BA/ELMS)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 1 (BA/ELPSY)
- LQ3J: BA English Lang. & Sociology year 1 (BA/ELSOC)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 1 (BA/ELSP)
- Q315: BA English Language for TEFL year 1 (BA/ELT)
- Q3Q2: BA English Language w English Lit year 1 (BA/ENGEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 1 (BA/FSELAN)
- Q314: BA International English Language for TEFL year 1 (BA/IELT)
- QR13: BA Italian/Linguistics year 1 (BA/ITL)
- Q1Q3: BA Ling with Eng Lit year 1 (BA/LEL)
- Q140: BA Ling & the Eng Lang year 1 (BA/LELA)
- QR11: BA Linguistics/French year 1 (BA/LFR)
- QR15: BA Linguistics and French with International Experience year 1 (BA/LFRIE)
- QR12: BA Linguistics/German year 1 (BA/LG)
- Q100: BA Linguistics year 1 (BA/LING)
- Q104: BA Linguistics (with International Experience)) year 1 (BA/LINGIE)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 1 (BA/LP)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 1 (BA/LSP)
- QQ31: BA Linguistics & the English Language with International Exp year 1 (BA/LWEL)
- LQ31: BA Sociology/Linguistics year 1 (BA/SL)
- QQ15: BA Cymraeg and Linguistics year 1 (BA/WL)
- Q102: MArts Bilingualism year 1 (MARTS/BILING)
- Q316: MArts English Language for TEFL year 1 (MARTS/ELT)
- Q101: MArts Linguistics year 1 (MARTS/LING)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- NR43: BA Accounting/Italian year 1 (BA/AIT)
- NR44: BA Accounting/Spanish year 1 (BA/ASP)
- NR33: BA Banking/Italian year 1 (BA/BIT)
- N2T1: BA Business Management and Chinese year 1 (BA/BMCH)
- N2R1: BA Business Management and French year 1 (BA/BMFR)
- N2R2: BA Business Management and German year 1 (BA/BMG)
- N2R3: BA Business Management and Italian year 1 (BA/BMI)
- N2R4: BA Business Management and Spanish year 1 (BA/BMS)
- NR34: BA Banking/Spanish year 1 (BA/BSP)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 1 (BA/BUSCH)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 1 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 1 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 1 (BA/BUSSI)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 1 (BA/BUSSS)
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CHCS)
- T102: BA Chinese and Cymraeg year 1 (BA/CHCY)
- T104: BA Chinese and French year 1 (BA/CHFR)
- T105: BA Chinese and German year 1 (BA/CHG)
- T126: Chinese & German with Intl Exp year 1 (BA/CHGIE)
- T106: BA Chinese and Italian year 1 (BA/CHIT)
- T107: BA Chinese and Spanish year 1 (BA/CHSP)
- MR95: BA Criminology&Criml Just/Italian year 1 (BA/CRIT)
- MR94: BA Criminology/Spanish year 1 (BA/CRSP)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTSP)
- L1T1: BA Economics and Chinese year 1 (BA/ECCH)
- LR13: BA Economics/Italian year 1 (BA/ECIT)
- LR14: BA Economics/Spanish year 1 (BA/ECSP)
- T123: BA English Language and Chinese year 1 (BA/ELCH)
- 09V3: BA English Literature and Italian year 1 (BA/ELI)
- 3YT5: BA English Literature and Spanish year 1 (BA/ELIS)
- R101: BA French year 1 (BA/F4)
- R1N2: BA French with Business Management year 1 (BA/FBM)
- 06CD: BA French and English Literature year 1 (BA/FEL)
- RR13: BA French/Italian(4 years) year 1 (BA/FI)
- R1R3: BA French with Italian year 1 (BA/FI4)
- R102: BA French with International Experience year 1 (BA/FIE)
- R181: BA French with Psychology (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FPIE)
- R1C8: BA French with Psychology year 1 (BA/FPSY)
- NR41: BA French/Accounting year 1 (BA/FRA)
- NR31: BA French/Banking year 1 (BA/FRB)
- T108: BA French with Chinese year 1 (BA/FRCH)
- MR91: BA French/Criminology&Crim'l Just year 1 (BA/FRCR)
- R1W8: BA French with Creative Writing year 1 (BA/FRCW)
- LR11: BA French/Economics year 1 (BA/FREC)
- R1P5: BA French with Journalism year 1 (BA/FRJO)
- R1N1: BA French with Marketing year 1 (BA/FRMKT)
- R1P3: BA French with Media Studies year 1 (BA/FRMS)
- R1R2: BA French with German year 1 (BA/FRWGER)
- R1R4: BA French with Spanish year 1 (BA/FS4)
- RR14: BA French and Spanish year 1 (BA/FS4#)
- T125: BA Film Studies and Chinese year 1 (BA/FSCH)
- PR31: BA Film Studies and French year 1 (BA/FSFR4)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 1 (BA/FSGER)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 1 (BA/FSI)
- R1R5: BA French with Spanish (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FSPIE)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 1 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- RR12: BA German/French year 1 (BA/G4F)
- NR42: BA German/Accounting year 1 (BA/GA)
- NR32: BA German/Banking year 1 (BA/GB)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 1 (BA/GBS)
- T109: BA German with Chinese year 1 (BA/GCH)
- MR92: BA Criminology&CrimJustice/German year 1 (BA/GCR)
- LR12: BA German/Economics year 1 (BA/GEC)
- 3N7S: BA German and English Literature year 1 (BA/GEL)
- R200: BA German year 1 (BA/GER)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 1 (BA/GERCW)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 1 (BA/GERMKT)
- R2R1: BA German with French year 1 (BA/GERWFR)
- R12R: BA German and French with International Experience year 1 (BA/GFIE)
- R2W6: BA German with Film Studies year 1 (BA/GFS)
- RR23: BA German/Italian year 1 (BA/GI)
- R2R3: BA German with Italian year 1 (BA/GI4)
- R2P5: BA German with Journalism year 1 (BA/GJO)
- R2P4: BA German with Media Studies year 1 (BA/GMST)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 1 (BA/GPSY)
- R2R4: BA German with Spanish year 1 (BA/GS4)
- RV11: BA History/French year 1 (BA/HFR)
- RV21: BA History/German year 1 (BA/HG)
- RV31: BA History/Italian year 1 (BA/HIT)
- RV32: BA History and Italian (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/HITIE)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 1 (BA/HSP)
- QR53: BA Italian/Cymraeg year 1 (BA/ITCY)
- CR6H: BA Italian/Sports Science year 1 (BA/ITSSC)
- T124: BA English Literature & Chinese year 1 (BA/LITCH)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTFR#)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 1 (BA/MKTSP)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 1 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 1 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 1 (BA/MUIT)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 1 (BA/MUSP)
- VVR1: BA Philosophy and Religion and French year 1 (BA/PRF)
- VVR2: BA Philosophy and Religion and German year 1 (BA/PRG)
- VVR3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Italian year 1 (BA/PRI)
- VVR4: BA Philosophy and Religion and Spanish year 1 (BA/PRS)
- 8M74: BA Spanish with Creative Writing (with International Exp) year 1 (BA/SCIE)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 1 (BA/SI)
- R400: BA Spanish year 1 (BA/SP4)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 1 (BA/SPBS)
- T110: BA Spanish with Chinese year 1 (BA/SPCH)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 1 (BA/SPCW)
- QR54: BA Spanish/Cymraeg year 1 (BA/SPCY)
- R4R1: BA Spanish with French year 1 (BA/SPFR)
- R4R2: BA Spanish with German year 1 (BA/SPG)
- R4R3: BA Spanish with Italian year 1 (BA/SPI)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 1 (BA/SPJO)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 1 (BA/SPMKT)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 1 (BA/SPMS)
- CR61: BA Sports Science/French year 1 (BA/SPSFR)
- CR62: BA Sports Science/German year 1 (BA/SPSG)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 1 (BA/SPSSC)
- QR51: BA Cymraeg/French year 1 (BA/WFR)
- QR52: BA Cymraeg/German year 1 (BA/WG)