English as a Foreign Language Theory
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Jessica Clapham
The aim of this module is to survey current research and approaches to the study of Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL). The module aims to explore aspects of TEFL by examining a wide range of contexts in which language teaching and learning takes place. The main focus is to provide the necessary knowledge and strategies to critically reflect on the teaching of English to non-native speakers in a theoretical context and to equip students with the necessary framework in readiness for entering the classroom. The lectures will provide students with an overview of key issues and the tutorials will examine and evaluate research studies in foreign language teaching.
This module provides an overview of TEFL theory by examining a wide range of contexts in which language teaching and learning takes place.
Topics will include the following:
1. The use of English within a global context. 2. Language awareness in the classroom.
3. English teaching methodologies.
4. Analysis of teaching English to speakers of other languages based on research articles and DVD material: affective factors and classroom interaction.
5. Implementing and evaluating curriculum change.
Critical reflection and a review of literature must be evaluated in a logical manner.
The answer must have an originality of exposition and understanding; the author’s own thinking should be readily apparent.
The answer must show clear evidence of extensive reading of primary sources.
The answer must show clear evidence of understanding TEFL methodology.
The answer must show a clear line structure in which each successive stage is explicitly linked and the reader is explicitly told why these parts are relevant to the study.
The answer must involve the critical analysis of existing research into TEFL and/or research from a Foreign language Learning perspective .
The answer must show evidence of some background study of primary sources going beyond material discussed in lectures.
The answer must be relevant to the research topic chosen.
Critical reflection and a review of literature must be presented, organized, and analysed with care and an appreciation must be shown of some of the problems involved with preparing a review of literature.
The answer must show a better-than-average standard of knowledge and understanding. The answer must show evidence of background of primary sources.
Assertions must be supported by reference to a theory and/or empirical research. The answer must show evidence of analytical thinking.
The answer must have a coherent structure that is adhered to in the most part; relationships between successive parts must be generally easy to follow.
Students will be able to analyse the factors underlying curriculum development.
Students will be able to identify and evaluate different approaches to the study of foreign language learning.
Students will be able to understand and discuss key facts, concepts, ideas and approaches relating to the study of TEFL.
Students will be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of research into the factors affecting TEFL.
Students will be able to evaluate how researchers explain the process of foreign language learning.
Students will be able to analyse a range of methods and methodologies used in TEFL and the principles underlying them.
Students will be able to evaluate how teachers' beliefs about language, learning, and teaching have an effect on lesson planning and delivery.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understanding of the nature of bi/multilingualism - students will demonstrate familiarity with phenomena and findings relating to the nature of bilingual and multilingual individuals and communities.
- Proficiency in the use of English in reading, writing, speaking and/or listening - students will demonstrate proficiency in their ability to use and understand English in a range of different contexts and via different media.
- Understanding of the nature and organization of language - students will demonstrate familiarity with observations and findings relating to various aspects of linguistic phenomena and organization.
- Knowledge of EFL (English as a Foreign Language) theory and practice - students will demonstrate familiarity with core terms, issues, principles, aspects and best practices related to the teaching of English as a foreign language.
- Writing & scholarly conventions - students will be able to present data, argumentation, findings and references in written form in keeping with the conventions current in language science and English language and EFL studies.
- Oral presentation skills & scholarly conventions - students will be able to present data, argumentation, findings and references in oral form in keeping with the conventions current in language science and English language studies.
- Analysis & interpretation skills - students will be able to analyse, interpret data accurately, and draw appropriate conclusions based on the application of appropriate analytic and theoretical frameworks available in linguistics and English language and EFL studies.
- Evaluation & reflection - students will be able to critically evaluate a particular position, viewpoint or argument in relation to a specific area of investigation. They will be able to reflect on the efficacy of a particular approach, practice or performance, and moderate these as a consequence in order to achieve specific goals.
- Fluency, confidence and proficiency in the use of English -students will demonstrate their ability and proficiency to use and understand and instruct others in English in a range of academic and classroom contexts.
- Effective communication - students will develop the ability to communicate effectively, appropriately and confidently, in a range of contexts, to different audience types, and making use of a range of supporting materials
- Learning to learn - students will learn to reflect, modify and improve their learning strategies
- Awareness of and appreciation for linguistic and cultural differences - students will develop an awareness of and an appreciation for the range and nature of linguistic and cultural diversity
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/qxl-3313.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cydofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q315: BA English Language for TEFL year 3 (BA/ELT)
- Q314: BA International English Language for TEFL year 3 (BA/IELT)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T101: BA Chinese and Linguistics year 4 (BA/CHL)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 3 (BA/CSTEL)
- Q301: BA English Language year 3 (BA/EL)
- QQ3M: BA English Language & Cymraeg year 3 (BA/ELC)
- T123: BA English Language and Chinese year 4 (BA/ELCH)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 4 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 3 (BA/ELCW)
- Q310: BA Eng Lit with Eng Lang year 3 (BA/ELEL)
- QR3C: BA English Language and French year 4 (BA/ELFR)
- Q3WP: BA Eng Lang with Film Studs year 3 (BA/ELFS)
- QR3F: BA English Language and German year 4 (BA/ELG)
- Q312: BA English Language (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/ELIE)
- QR3H: BA English Language and Italian year 4 (BA/ELIT)
- PQ54: BA English Lang & Journalism with International Experience year 3 (BA/ELJIE)
- PQ53: BA English Language & Journalism year 3 (BA/ELJO)
- 1Q3Q: BA Linguistics and English Literature year 3 (BA/ELL)
- QQC3: BA English Lang and Lit year 3 (BA/ELLIT)
- QQCF: BA English Language & English Lit [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/ELLITF)
- Q3P3: BA English Lang with Media Stds year 3 (BA/ELMS)
- Q30P: BA English Language with Placement Year year 3 (BA/ELP)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 3 (BA/ELPSY)
- LQ3J: BA English Lang. & Sociology year 3 (BA/ELSOC)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 4 (BA/ELSP)
- Q3Q2: BA English Language w English Lit year 3 (BA/ENGEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 3 (BA/FSELAN)
- QR13: BA Italian/Linguistics year 4 (BA/ITL)
- Q1Q3: BA Ling with Eng Lit year 3 (BA/LEL)
- Q140: BA Ling & the Eng Lang year 3 (BA/LELA)
- QR11: BA Linguistics/French year 4 (BA/LFR)
- QR15: BA Linguistics and French with International Experience year 3 (BA/LFRIE)
- QR12: BA Linguistics/German year 4 (BA/LG)
- Q100: BA Linguistics year 3 (BA/LING)
- Q104: BA Linguistics (with International Experience)) year 4 (BA/LINGIE)
- Q3R8: BA Linguistics and Modern Languages year 4 (BA/LML)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 3 (BA/LP)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 4 (BA/LSP)
- QQ31: BA Linguistics & the English Language with International Exp year 4 (BA/LWEL)
- LQ31: BA Sociology/Linguistics year 3 (BA/SL)
- QQ15: BA Cymraeg and Linguistics year 3 (BA/WL)
- Q102: MArts Bilingualism year 3 (MARTS/BILING)
- Q316: MArts English Language for TEFL year 3 (MARTS/ELT)
- Q317: MArts English Lang for TEFL with International Experience year 3 (MARTS/ELTI)
- Q105: MArts Linguistics with International Experience year 3 (MARTS/LIE)
- Q101: MArts Linguistics year 3 (MARTS/LING)