L2 speech learning
Second Language Speech Learning 2023-24
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 2
Lectures will include:
- an overview of the field of L2 speech learning.
- introduction to the major concepts in the field.
- role of the first language.
- transfer; interlanguage.
- current L2 speech learning models.
- cross-language phonetic similarity.
- foreign accent and the factors involved in (un)successful learning.
- segmental and suprasegmental production and perception.
- implications for foreign language teaching.
-threshold -D: Student has achieved the minimum acceptable standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all the learning outcomes. Student can demonstrate a minimum level of understanding of the basic concepts and be able to apply them to data with some degree of accuracy.
-good -B: Student has achieved a better-than-average standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all learning outcomes, and has a clear and accurate understanding of concepts; ability to apply concepts to data critically and thoughtfully; evidence of wide reading and clear and accurate reference to source materials; free from misunderstanding and errors of content; free from irrelevant material.
-excellent -A: Student has achieved a thorough standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all learning outcomes; or student has demonstrated an exceptional level of achievement in one or more learning outcomes together with a good overall standard: student has achieved a thorough understanding of the subject, both in terms of content and theory; student is able to apply concepts clearly and accurately; substantial evidence of critical and original thought and analysis; clear, logical argument; high level of communicative competence; free from irrelevant material and errors of spelling and punctuation; evidence of extensive reading beyond basic texts and clear and accurate references to source material.
- Students will be able to collect and critically analyse data and select an appropriate methodology for investigating specific L2 speech learning phenomena.
- Students will be able to critically compare and evaluate the current theories and methodologies in L2 speech learning in light of existing evidence.
- Students will be able to discuss the range of variables known to contribute to the degree of perception of foreign accentedness.
- Students will understand the main issues, concerns and controversies employed in this field of study
Poster based Presentation
Research Report (3000 words)