Speaking and listening
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Ms Emily Morris
To raise students' spoken English competence so that they can communicate with other learners of English and with native English speakes in a general, professional or academic setting.
To raise students' listening comprehension so that they can understand native English speakers discussing topics of general, professional and academic interest.
This course is only available to students whose native language is not English and who have not passed the Cambridge Advanced level examination.
This is a single module, taught during the first term of the university year. The course is thematically organised around topics of general interest and wide academic application. Each unit comprises a video or audio tape and exercises and speaking activities based on it. The exercises used are approximately equivalent to Cambridge Advanced level, ALTE level 4, corresponding to 'Competent User' in the Council of Europe framework. Tapes and videos are at levels from Advanced to native speaker level to reflect the needs of students' other study at this university.
55% A student has achieved a good standard of competence in coursework and examination relating to the learning outcomes above (equivalent to IELTS 6.5). A student has good ability to listen and understand spoken English and is able to respond appropriately and effectively, although there may be occasional errors of grammar and vocabulary. S/he may occasionally require the interlocutor to repeat or explain unfamiliar or idiomatic expressions but this will rarely impede communication.
70% A student has achieved an exceptional standard of competence in coursework and examination relating to the learning outcomes above (equivalent to IELTS 7.0 or above). A student has excellent ability to listen and understand spoken English and is able to respond appropriately and effectively with very few errors of grammar and vocabulary. S/he will only rarely require the interlocutor to repeat or explain unfamiliar or idiomatic expressions but communication is excellent and approaching that of native speakers in pace and content.
40% A student has achieved the minimum acceptable standard of competence in coursework and examination relating to the learning outcomes above (equivalent to IELTS 6.0). A student has a basic ability to listen and understand spoken English and is usually able to respond appropriately, although there may be some errors of grammar and vocabulary and s/he may require the interlocutor or repeat or explain expressions. Pronunciation may be heavily accented.
On successful completion of the module, a student will be able to: Understand and complete general and academic exercises using listening material designed for student at IELTS 6.0 and above. Understand the gist of listening material at native speaker level and to make appropriate comments and responses. Be familiar with English spoken in a variety of accents. Hold conversations on general topics with other English learners and with native speakers of English.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Teaching consists of a two-hour interactive class each week for 12 weeks. Each week, students are encouraged to communicate with each other and with the teacher in English only. There are considerable number of speaking activities in which the students are required to engage with other class members to give ample opportunity for fluency practice within a comparatively sheltered environment. Each week, students are expected to complete exercises related to the work covered in class, to research in the library and on the internet in preparation for their assignments and to undertake specific communication exercises with native English speakers.
An assessed project in which students interview a native English speaker - in English - about their experiences of learning a foreign language. Students then use the interview to write an essay comparing their experience of learning English with that of their interviewee. The interviewee must not be/have been learning the student's native tongue.
Students are expected to use their class experience to improve their production of English outside the classroom. They are encouraged to record new vocabulary or slang and bring them to class for discussion.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q314: BA International English Language for TEFL year 1 (BA/IELT)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- N107: BA Business year 1 (BA/BUS)
- NN44: BSc Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 1 (BSC/ABIE)
- NN43: BSc Accounting and Banking year 1 (BSC/ACCB)
- NN46: BSc Accounting and Banking (4 year with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/ACCB1)
- NL41: BSc Accounting and Economics year 1 (BSC/ACCEC)
- NL4B: BSc Accounting and Economics (4 year with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BSC/ACCEC1)
- NN4J: BSc Accounting and Finance (4 year with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/ACCF1)
- NN4H: BSc Accounting and Finance year 1 (BSC/ACCFIN)
- N402: BSc Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ACCFINIE)
- NL42: BSc Accounting and Economics with International Experience year 1 (BSC/AEIE)
- N109: BSc Bus Analytics w Financial Tech year 1 (BSC/BAFT)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 1 (BSC/BEC)
- L19B: BSc Business Economics (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BSC/BEC1)
- L191: BSc Business Economics with International Experience year 1 (BSC/BECIE)
- 8V55: BSc Banking and Finance (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/BFIE)
- N391: BSc Banking and Finance year 1 (BSC/BFIN)
- N39B: BSc Banking and Finance (4 year w Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BSC/BFIN1)
- L192: BSc Business Economics (Bangor International College) year 1 (BSC/BICBE)
- L193: BSc Financial Economics (Bangor International College) year 1 (BSC/BICFE)
- N312: BSc Banking with Financial Tech year 1 (BSC/BKFT)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 1 (BSC/BS)
- N10B: BSc Business Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BSC/BS1)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 1 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NN1J: BSc Business Studies and Finance (4 year with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/BSFIN1)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 1 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 1 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- L111: BSc Financial Economics year 1 (BSC/FINEC)
- L11B: BSc Financial Economics (4 year w Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BSC/FINEC1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 1 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BSC/MKT1)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 1 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NL: BSc Management with Accounting (4 year with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/MWACC1)